DragonDePlatino wrote:Heh, the reason your demo made me think that is because when I was playing it, I was thinking "Oh, so the final game will be like this but longer" not to mention, the controls feel like those of a finished game.
I hope you don't mind me doing a little hack job of your game, but this is what I had in mind for the snow:
I can PM you the edited ROM, if you'd like.
There will be more variety once the game is complete as well. The the controls should feel a little better now there is an input buffer.
I don't mind, thank you for taking the time to edit it. I can see what you mean about the cyan but I'm not sure about having the ground colour being similar to the sky.
PM me the edited ROM when you get a chance and I'll take a closer look.
koitsu wrote:Gave this a try tonight -- love it! Here are thoughts that went through my mind as I started it up and progressed:
* "What the hell, select button doesn't move cursor on title screen? Oh, D-pad, okay"
* "No select on options screen either, just D-pad again..."
* "Start does nothing on options screen? Oh I see, B is accept..."
...started game, jumped around...
* "The hell am I doing? OH! I can eat guys! Aww yeah"
...progressed to next stage easily, then...
* "Oh crap, I fell in the water. What's that metre in the upper left? Is that my air? Timer? Am I gonna die?"
...ate some more things, progressed...
* "Oh, NOW I get it, the number in the centre of the screen indicates how many of the things I need to eat. Eesh this is gonna be hard"
...failed repeatedly at the next level, for quite some time...
* "Ah ha, the metre is a timer of sorts, or maybe a health metre. I better eat everything!"
* <much cursing at the stage requiring you to eat 8 fish or whatever they are>
* "This rain stuff reminds me of Mega Man 2, and the fact that it adds flicker to the sprites is acceptable but is it really worth it?"
* <figured out cheap technique for finishing the stage generally easy, feeling very proud of self, albeit guilty at same time>
...then the level with the springs...
* "How do these springs work? Hrm, not like the trampoline thing in SMB, that's for sure. Oh okay, I think I got it."
* "Damn, now how do I eat these birds... Great, one at a time? Oh wait, maybe if I hold down the button longer I can do some huge open-mouthed leap that chomps up a whole ton in one shot... HAHA YES"
Wow, that was fun to read and has given me a lot to think about.
I didn't think about using select to move through the menus, It's been a while since I've played a game that works that way. That will be easy to add though. Not sure about using start in the options though, I'll do some fiddling with the menu later and see how it feels.
I did not expect people to be having as much trouble as they are with the fish level. I thought the level with the birds would of been more frustrating. I'd also like to hear about this cheap technique you used to finish the stage, you have me quite curious.
I know the flickering with the rain doesn't look the best but I'm going to try and use a different method for OAM cycling so the rain wont cause the other sprites to flicker. If I can't manage that, I should be able to at least reduce the amount of rain to lessen the flickering.
The springs are currently undergoing some changes so they will be easier to use.
There's no difference from holding the button, or pressing it, to lunge. Though now that you mention it, I'm getting some ideas, hehe.
Overall impression and score so far: 6.5/10. Play control feels really good/smooth, guy moves almost a little "too" fast for my liking, but I think that's part of the challenge. Love the art/style, looks cute/cartoony, like two characters you could really fall in love with (I started fantasising about box art). Graphics remind me of sort of a mix of Mega Man 2, Snow Brothers, and Kickle Cubicle.
I'd absolutely donate money to this on Kickstarter + endorse it much like I did with Lizard, no questions asked.
Hmm, I'll fiddle around with the moving speed and see what's best. The only problem being that, if the player moves much slower, the gravity might need to be changed which would be a lot of work but I'll see how things go.
I'm really happy with the score you've given it. I'm glad you like the characters, I've been trying to find as many ways to give them as much personality as I can. I, too, have been fantasising about the box art but I'm trying to not get ahead of myself and focus on the game itself.
Once the game is finished, I going to release it for free, so everyone that wants to play it, can.
Thank you for the entertainment and your critique.
thefox wrote:Cool demo.