MMO for NES

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: Cookie Clicker

Post by tepples »

I've made a project page with my to do list.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

OneCrudeDude wrote:it still baffles me that there are people out there who think NES sprites could show four colors PLUS transparency. Some even say the NES is only capable of showing 16 colors on screen
NES graphical limitations are pretty complex, I wouldn't expect people with no understanding of computer architecture to get them. What most people know about graphics is what Photoshop has taught them.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Contrary to popular belief, the NES is capable of showing 56 simultaneous colors on screen, but only on thursdays. Attributes are also half off every day, up until 4 PM. Act now and get an extra bit per pixel free of charge, just pay shipping and handling.
Denine

Post by Denine »

The visuals are sweet! I downloaded ROM image from your website...you can't get past title screen, can you?
I wouldn't expect people with no understanding of computer architecture to get them.
90% of artists I tried to work with on NES art was not patient enough to limit graphics and just demanded me to make it work.
Krill

Post by Krill »

The graphics are astounding, much better than what I thought a port of Cookie Clicker would've looked like on the NES.
I'm just curious, what made you decide to port Cookie Clicker to the NES?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Denine wrote:The visuals are sweet! I downloaded ROM image from your website...you can't get past title screen, can you?
Not yet. But once I put more checkmarks on the to do list, you will be able to. This weekend I went on vacation with my family and didn't have a lot of time to get stuff done. It's hard to concentrate on stepping through a floating-point subroutine when the driver is blaring music in my ears.
90% of artists I tried to work with on NES art was not patient enough to limit graphics and just demanded me to make it work.
You could try asking them for Game Boy art, which is 4 grays (background) or 3 grays (sprites). Then these grays will probably map well to NES.
Krill wrote:I'm just curious, what made you decide to port Cookie Clicker to the NES?
A dare in #nesdev on EFnet.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

In [url=http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=127498#p127498]this post[/url], tepples wrote:
You could try asking them for Game Boy art, which is 4 grays (background) or 3 grays (sprites). Then these grays will probably map well to NES.
And you'll end up with pretty but mostly monochrome graphics. Good NES artists have to figure out how to connect areas with different attributes and how to make partial use of the individual palettes in different areas to make it less obvious that there are only 4 sets of colors making up the image.
OneCrudeDude

Post by OneCrudeDude »

@tokumaru: Or your game would look like Kirby's Adventure, a surprisingly monochromatic game that came out towards the end of the NES' life.

The irony is that there are artists out there who try to emulate NES graphics and have no problem, but to make the exact same graphics for the NES will twist their minds around like a pretzel. Of all faux-retro games, I think Retro City Rampage comes the closest to matching the NES' graphical abilities, aside from being an MMC5 with 4 way scrolling (they do not get along at all, or so I heard).
tepples

Post by tepples »

Updated today. There are no new visible features, but I've added source code, the Python version of the decimal floating point library, and a 6502 simulator written in Python that passes nestest that I wrote for automating unit tests.
OneCrudeDude

Post by OneCrudeDude »

I remember you mentioning that you added mouse support for this game, in the form of the SNES mouse with an NES converter. I've been meaning to ask, isn't there a Chinese bootleg that not only resembles a computer, it also has a mouse? I think the NES version of Microsoft 98 or whatever is one of those mouse compatible NES programs. Any documentation exists for the Chinese NES mouses?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Yeah, nocash has some documentation for the SUBOR mouse.

Last time I mentioned it, Tepples said he was (justifiably!) hesitant to add support for it without something to test on.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Yeah, send me a mouse of a different protocol and an adapter to plug it into the 7-pin ports on the front of my NES, and I'll add support to Thwaite and Cookie Clicker. But perhaps a better long-term solution as the supply of authentic Super NES Mouse controllers dwindles would be a microcontroller that acts as a PS/2 host and NES device, translating between PS/2 and Super NES mouse protocols.
OneCrudeDude

Post by OneCrudeDude »

What if someone gave you one of those Famiclones so that you could test it on? Assuming you can get a PowerPak or Everdrive to work on the thing.

Do Famiclone to NES converters exist?
tepples

Post by tepples »

PowerPak doesn't work on most clones. I'd have to buy an EverDrive.
tepples

Post by tepples »

UPDATE: Now clicking actually does something.

(But do you really want it to do something?)