any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples
Posts: 22414
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by tepples »

If I had time, I'd make Flappy Clicker 2048. But that'll have to wait until April.
User avatar
JRoatch
Formerly 43110
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:01 am
Location: us-east
Contact:

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by JRoatch »

or Flappy Clicker 2048 saga
User avatar
rainwarrior
Posts: 8475
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by rainwarrior »

Well, if your Sword Master style parallax involved a 32x32 pixel CHR flipbook, with a 1k CHR bank you're looking at 32k of CHR data for that effect, one page per parallax position.

If you had a mapper that could offset and wrap one of the 1k CHR banks on a granularity of a tile (16 bytes) or even 4 tiles (64 bytes) you could cut the data required dramatically, since now you only need 8k of CHR data (8 pages) and the rest of the parallax positions are done with the offset and wrap operation. This would work for wider and smaller flipbooks too, e.g. 128x32 is just as practical this way and still only 8 pages are required. A 64x64 pixel flipbook would also work if the granularity of the offset was 8 tiles (128 bytes).

This scheme could be used for vertical or horizontal parallax alike. The only difference is how to arrange your CHR tiles so that the offset happens in the direction of parallax.


Trying to do it in CHR-RAM would be an interesting challenge. Pushing through 256 bytes per frame could get you a 32x32 pixel scroller but it would require a sizeable blank area at the top of the screen.
lidnariq
Posts: 11003
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Location: Seattle

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by lidnariq »

rainwarrior wrote:If you had a mapper that could offset and wrap one of the 1k CHR banks on a granularity of a tile (16 bytes) or even 4 tiles (64 bytes) you could cut the data required dramatically, since now you only need 8k of CHR data (8 pages) and the rest of the parallax positions are done with the offset and wrap operation. This would work for wider and smaller flipbooks too, e.g. 128x32 is just as practical this way and still only 8 pages are required. A 64x64 pixel flipbook would also work if the granularity of the offset was 8 tiles (128 bytes).
To make sure I'm understanding correctly, you mean dividing a 64 tile bank into eight flipbooks of eight tiles each?
Trivial, and far simpler than what I'd thought of in the other post... It's just a 3-bit latch and a 3-bit full adder. A 74'173 and a 74'283. Add the latched value to (Mapper CHR) A4..A6, to produce CHR A4..A6. And something to make it only work for one bank, such as a 74'138.

Since this only modifies address lines, it'll work fine with CHR RAM.
Drag
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:57 pm
Contact:

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by Drag »

You could hypothetically mix a CHR flipbook with nametable updates, too.
User avatar
rainwarrior
Posts: 8475
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:03 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by rainwarrior »

lidnariq wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:If you had a mapper that could offset and wrap one of the 1k CHR banks on a granularity of a tile (16 bytes) or even 4 tiles (64 bytes) you could cut the data required dramatically, since now you only need 8k of CHR data (8 pages) and the rest of the parallax positions are done with the offset and wrap operation. This would work for wider and smaller flipbooks too, e.g. 128x32 is just as practical this way and still only 8 pages are required. A 64x64 pixel flipbook would also work if the granularity of the offset was 8 tiles (128 bytes).
To make sure I'm understanding correctly, you mean dividing a 64 tile bank into eight flipbooks of eight tiles each?
Trivial, and far simpler than what I'd thought of in the other post... It's just a 3-bit latch and a 3-bit full adder. A 74'173 and a 74'283. Add the latched value to (Mapper CHR) A4..A6, to produce CHR A4..A6. And something to make it only work for one bank, such as a 74'138.

Since this only modifies address lines, it'll work fine with CHR RAM.
The idea is for a 1k window of CHR to be able to add a multiple of 16/32/64 to the incoming CHR address. This would be separate from the 1k CHR banking also needed for the 8 1k flipbook pages.

This would make a nice 64x64 pixel flipbook out of 8k of data, but you could subdivide it (probably with some duplication for wrapping) if you want to make multiple flipbooks within the same 8k of data.
lidnariq
Posts: 11003
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Location: Seattle

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by lidnariq »

rainwarrior wrote:The idea is for a 1k window of CHR to be able to add a multiple of 16/32/64 to the incoming CHR address.
So, yes, I did understand you. It's a nifty idea.
User avatar
OneCrudeDude
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:14 am

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by OneCrudeDude »

tepples wrote:If I had time, I'd make Flappy Clicker 2048.
Will it have kill streaks and obnoxious dubstep music? Seriously, the wubbing sound sounds like a triangle wave that's being raped and/or reading garbage data.
slobu
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:58 am

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by slobu »

doctorlai wrote:Just love the game and wondering this might be an interesting project?

8-bit NES can be run by various emulators on various platforms and I think 8-bit CPU is good enough for such tiny game... but unfortunately I am not good enough to make one!
You can't get more 8-bit than this version for the Atari 2600
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222161 ... ased-game/

It was done in batari BASIC.
User avatar
JRoatch
Formerly 43110
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:01 am
Location: us-east
Contact:

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by JRoatch »

Well, this won't include fancy parallax backgrounds nor bear a title of "flappy", but I intend to copy the mechanics of flappy bird for an eventual multi-app that I'm making.

Edit: spelling errors.
Last edited by JRoatch on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:43 am
Contact:

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by NESHomebrew »

Did anyone else see flappy block? It's part of Roth's 1k series.

http://slydogstudios.org/index.php/1k-series/
tepples
Posts: 22414
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by tepples »

People actually made two kinds of Flappy 2048.
http://www.flappy2048.com
http://broxxar.itch.io/flappy48
sayonari
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by sayonari »

I wrote program for NES!
But, my assembler ability is low,so program is spaghetti ;-(
and some comment in the source are written by JAPANESE.

Still, if you like, please look and play and modify the source!!!!
http://sayonari.com/famicom/FamilyBird.zip

This game was created with plans to gift to Shoko Nakagawa is a Japanese idol.

play video on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuUzPRJnNWE

My blog (written by JAPANESE language ;-( )
http://sayonari.blogspot.jp/2014/05/lv29.html
Zelex
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by Zelex »

lol :) great!
User avatar
tokumaru
Posts: 12254
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Re: any one writes a 8-bit flappy bird?

Post by tokumaru »

Looks good! There are some small glitches during screen transitions (the screen "jumps") that appear to be the result of turning the PPU on and off outside of VBlank. These could be easily fixed by waiting for VBlank before turning rendering on or off.

Does Shoko Nakagawa play Famicom games?
Post Reply