"Super Mario Bros." hack with a two-player simulatenous mode

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Kasumi

Re: "Super Mario Bros." hack with a two-player simulatenous

Post by Kasumi »

I think it's less noticeable in NSMB Wii because of how far it's zoomed out and the fact that it's widescreen, so the viewport is more than 16 m wide.
The thing it really depends on is level design. Either way, I doubt anyone's gonna complain if someone makes a CO-OP SUPER MARIO BROS! I'd complain if everything were made smaller! If it doesn't look the same, it doesn't count. May as well be a new game, like mine.
I thought Super Mario Bros. 2: Mario Madness had it first.
Okay fine. "At some point Mario games added this ability, so it wouldn't be totally unusual to put it in."

Totally offtopic, long ago I nicknamed you the exception handler, Tepples, because there's never an exception that goes unmentioned.
You mean like how Chip carries Dale?
Except with eight directions of throw trajectories.
Meanwhile, in next gen. With... well... ponies...
Meanwhile, in next-next gen.

It will probably eventually be done. But nothing came in the years since last time it was talked about it, so what are we talking about here? Is anyone picking up the torch of this?
slobu

Post by slobu »

It sounds like the hack method would be flawed and complicated. The new engine from scratch sounds like you may as well make an original game with your own IP. Not tempting.

Maybe DRW should find a similar game with two player simultaneous and hack in SMB sprites and levels.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Kasumi wrote:Either way, I doubt anyone's gonna complain if someone makes a CO-OP SUPER MARIO BROS!
Related to slobu's point is that Nintendo might complain.
Totally offtopic, long ago I nicknamed you the exception handler, Tepples, because there's never an exception that goes unmentioned.
Which I've always thought is a plus for developing reliable software.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

How many blocks are onscreen in NSMBW? For NSMB2 on the 3DS, I counted 20x12 blocks of 20x20 pixels. I'm guessing for the Wii there's 20x14 blocks in 3:4 mode, and 27x14 blocks in 9:16 mode, with blocks that are 32x32 pixels.
tepples

Post by tepples »

tepples wrote:in NSMB Wii [...] the viewport is more than 16 m wide. It's in fact closer to 32 m wide according to my measurement of a screenshot on Amazon.com, so multiplayer might need to be zoomed out like Super Mario Land.
The game is letterboxed when played on a 4:3 screen, so that the players have the same amount of area to move around.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Tonight I got around to making 8x8 pixel reductions of the tiles in SMB1 World 1-1.
I haven't checked the edges of all the background hills, but I don't see any blatant,
hard-to-fix violations of the rule that all tiles in a 2x2 area must have the same attribute.
Attachments
SMB1_8x8.png
SMB1_8x8.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 9651 times
thefox

Post by thefox »

tepples wrote:Tonight I got around to making 8x8 pixel reductions of the tiles in SMB1 World 1-1.
That's pretty funny.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
jayminer

Post by jayminer »

Just because I kinda liked the idea of how SMB could look with smaller tiles, I did a small mockup myself.

This uses mostly the same palettes (but a little modified - but the same tiles are still used for the bushes and the clouds) but I took a lot of liberties with the picture. Also the bushes/clouds are not aligned correctly, I noticed this too late and I'm too lazy to fix it :)
-----
slightly bored and severly confused...
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

If I wasn't already neck deep in my own NES project I would really, really want to make tiny SMB into an NES game.
Myask

Re: "Super Mario Bros." hack with a two-player simultaneous

Post by Myask »

tepples wrote:Tonight I got around to making 8x8 pixel reductions of the tiles in SMB1
This seems familiar.

I'm sorry. I did the obvious riff.

(Tiles added not found in SML: crenellation, castle window, flagpole, flagpole head. The flag is a hill and a ceiling-line, flipped.)
Interestingly, the only tile that seems to use four colors in the original with none supposed to be transparency is the exit door; very few tiles use dark gray along with white.

edit: oops, attribute clash in the bonus room: coins or the ground tile have white, light gray, black; the dead blocks chosen have dark gray.
Attachments
SMB1 1-1 a la SML
SMB1 1-1 a la SML
SMB1_8x8_SML.png (6.06 KiB) Viewed 9572 times
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

What happened to Mario?

Anyway, an interesting (and pretty simple) project would be to make reduced SMB tiles and fit them into Super Mario Land.
Attachments
uhh.png
uhh.png (555 Bytes) Viewed 9551 times
Myask

Re: "Super Mario Bros." hack with a two-player simultaneous

Post by Myask »

It appears the SML Mario sprite source had different gray-values than what I used, which then got mashed together when I converted it to indexed because they didn't agree with the other gray values.

He IS normally 10x10(ed:12) pixels though; and even then he doesn't look very Mario-ish. SML had some...odd sprites. The BG was pretty good though.
Last edited by Myask on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Perhaps a realization that 10x12 pixel Mario didn't look Mario enough is why Nintendo didn't include a shrinking mushroom until the NSMB series, which uses a polygonal mesh for Mario.
Attachments
SML, colorized
SML, colorized
smlmariosprites.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 9511 times
Polar Hacker

Post by Polar Hacker »

Just for anyone who comes across this thread in the future, thought I’d mention that a multiplayer mod of Super Mario Bros has been released recently. You may find it here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4180/

As it has been discussed in the previous posts, this is no simple feat, so it’s awesome to see that someone was up to the challenge and create this masterpiece.
DRW wrote:Would a "Super Mario Bros." hack with a two-player simulatenous mode be possible? Let's assume Luigi shares his palette with the Koopa Troopa, could this actually be done?
It appears that in this hack Luigi does share his palette with a Koopa Troopa, as the the palette does not change for the Koopas while in underground and castle levels.
DRW

Post by DRW »

Really interesting. I wouldn't have thought that anybody actually takes the time and effort to create something like this. That's great work here.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html