Extending the 2019 deadline - poll

Moderator: Moderators

Extend the deadline?

No, leave it January 31st
23%
Yes, push it to February 29th
64%
Yes, push it further (please comment with suggestion)
14%

Total votes: 22

NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Extending the 2019 deadline - poll

Post by NESHomebrew »

Since things have been running behind schedule for the competition, I'm wondering if people would be in favour of extending the deadline. If it means more entries will be submitted, then I think it should be extended personally. However, this is a community run competition, so I would love to have some feedback!

Thanks!
-Brad
gauauu

Re: Extending the 2019 deadline - poll

Post by gauauu »

NESHomebrew wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:29 am However, this is a community run competition, so I would love to have some feedback!
If there's any evidence that folks might take advantage of the extension to get something submitted (Which it appears is the case), I'm all in favor of it. I have no opinion about the length of the extension, though.
Punch

Post by Punch »

I think an extra month is more than enough, maybe two but that's stretching a little bit. My main worries would be people submitting incomplete/truncated versions of their projects because of the deadline (the lack of any project threads in the last two months of the competition makes this more likely, imo), and people who might not attempt to make an entry due to the lack of time.

I already discarded my planned platformer for "next year" because of the deadline and I'm not even sure if I can think of a feature complete game that is fun to both create and play that will be able to get finished before Jan 31. Still thinking about it and having a deadline extension would help greatly, and I'm sure there's bound to be other devs in this same situation.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
pubby

Post by pubby »

I'm fine with this, but I don't think it will have much of an effect. Work often fills whatever time is allotted to complete it. You don't stop procrastination by adding extra time.
pubby

Post by pubby »

I was disappointed with the last two contests and their delays. The volunteers deserve cheer, but I think they have bitten off more than they can chew. My own motivation for entering is tied to my view of the contest and its prizes, which right now, is poor. I don't think I'll spend more than a few hours on my entry this time.
Punch

Post by Punch »

pubby wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:30 pm I was disappointed with the last two contests and their delays. The volunteers deserve cheer, but I think they have bitten off more than they can chew. My own motivation for entering is tied to my view of the contest and its prizes, which right now, is poor. I don't think I'll spend more than a few hours on my entry this time.
Oh wow I didn't knew the previous compos had issues with deadlines too. As for your view of the contest you need to be more specific, what is it that you don't like that makes it poor in your eyes? This is, after all, a community-heavy contest.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
pubby

Post by pubby »

Multi-cart prizes have been missed two years in a row and I don't think a multi-cart should be offered as a prize if it can't be delivered. Additionally, the website/organization has been sluggish to update. I'd like to see the rules+deadline posted in February or March, and have submissions ready to download within the first week.

FWIW I've had lots of fun with the contests. I'm not unhappy, but not excited either.
calima

Post by calima »

Plus the website has been offline ever since NA went down.
Punch

Post by Punch »

Oh jeez, I didn't know any of that, I changed my vote to keep the deadline. That's kinda disappointing to read.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

pubby wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:51 pm Multi-cart prizes have been missed two years in a row and I don't think a multi-cart should be offered as a prize if it can't be delivered. Additionally, the website/organization has been sluggish to update. I'd like to see the rules+deadline posted in February or March, and have submissions ready to download within the first week.
The delay on the multi-carts has been disappointing, but I still believe that they're coming.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

The multi-cart is getting close. This time with a full 53 games. We are re-evaluating the future of the multi-cart and possibly making a smaller release for entrants only so they can get their prizes sooner, then do a full release with other non-competition entries for funding the competition.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

NESHomebrew wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:16 pm The multi-cart is getting close. This time with a full 53 games. We are re-evaluating the future of the multi-cart and possibly making a smaller release for entrants only so they can get their prizes sooner, then do a full release with other non-competition entries for funding the competition.
I like that idea. While all the additions make for a more interesting milti-cart for buyers, the big delay of adding and curating a big production with extra entries certainly is a negative in terms of following through with the prize cart.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Looks like it is pretty clear. I didn't set a deadline for the poll, but from the response I think it is safe to say we can push it to the end of February.