usb power rf/av board replacement for nesrgb

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

bunder

usb power rf/av board replacement for nesrgb

Post by bunder »

hello,

i recently got a nesrgb for my nes, and didn't feel like carving up the plastic to route the outputs, and got tired of having 50 wall warts behind my tv, so i figured i'd make a replacement rf/power box.

based on a project i found on hackaday and an idea that apparently isn't new or original in any sense, i whipped up a board that routes composite and component video from the nesrgb out the original rf/av holes and takes a usb host-a cable for power.

just throwing it up here to see if anyone would be interested in one, given the pandemic i might just upload the gerbers and BOM somewhere so people can make their own. /shrug
Attachments
board.png
bunder

Re: usb power rf/av board replacement for nesrgb

Post by bunder »

i've been thinking of ways to upgrade this board... while it works, everyone is jumping on the type-c bandwagon... moving to usb-c pd would also ensure the console gets a more accurate 5v@3a. will post more when i have a new pcb fabbed. :)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

:shock:

NES doesn't need anywhere near three amps...

Typical real power consumption is around 300-500mA, comfortably within what a normal pre-USB-PD could deliver.
bunder

Post by bunder »

i've been powering mine off a 60w usb hub that outputs 3a per port... with the nesrgb, two wireless controllers and an everdrive, the voltage sags down around 4.3v. it could be something wrong with my original board, but pd should be more fool-proof (and future-proof).