Achievement unlocked: human spammers

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

calima

Achievement unlocked: human spammers

Post by calima »

We now have two active human spammers. Someone considers nesdev worth enough to actually pay for spammers to post here.
lidnariq

Re: Achievement unlocked: human spammers

Post by lidnariq »

I'm certain they're thrilled with their 10INR a day :p
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

I'm pretty sure one of them has been here before, too, since I clearly remember seeing a "where did my first post go?" question a few weeks ago (before it got deleted).
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

calima wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:45 am We now have two active human spammers. Someone considers nesdev worth enough to actually pay for spammers to post here.
When you think about it it's crazy. It makes no economical sense. But it's not the only thing that makes no economical sense in today's world ^^
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
nocash

Post by nocash »

Where are human spammers? If you mean KayBur's not-from-this-world-posts, that looks like typical state of the art bot behaviour to me, ie. analyze a topic, and try to create a roughly plausible sentence with high probability of not being too much out of context.
Like being in a programming forum, human programmers need keyboards, and many customer reviews complain about broken keyboards, so the correct answer is to create a sentence about buying new keyboards. I guess that's very well paid, worth billions, and not specifically aimed at nesdev.
homepage - patreon - you can think of a bit as a bottle that is either half full or half empty
dink

Post by dink »

I thought of a.. an interesting idea for a mode for when human spammers are detected.

Have some sort of mode so they can post messages, but only they themselves can see their own messages. So, here they are - spamming away, but noone will ever see the messages but the spammers themselves. This way they don't feel compelled to create new accounts for spamming when the old accounts are detected and deleted.

best regards,
- dink
tepples

Post by tepples »

Like a Reddit shadowban? I see two issues with that.

Policy-wise: I seem to remember complaints about Reddit's lack of transparency with respect to helping good faith users who got off to a rough start (or who happen to live in a bad global neighborhood) get out of shadowban jail.
Technically: As usual, WhoaMan is a bottleneck.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

dink wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:05 pm I thought of a.. an interesting idea for a mode for when human spammers are detected.

Have some sort of mode so they can post messages, but only they themselves can see their own messages. So, here they are - spamming away, but noone will ever see the messages but the spammers themselves. This way they don't feel compelled to create new accounts for spamming when the old accounts are detected and deleted.

best regards,
- dink
That's a good idea, but what about if the person turns out being a legitimate user after all ?
Also, the spammer can see his post is invisible by logging out.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
calima

Post by calima »

Now there are two more :D