How exactly did SNK arrive at "330 megabit" for Neo Geo ?

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
TmEE

Re: How exactly did SNK arrive at "330 megabit" for Neo Geo

Post by TmEE »

Yup, MVS. I also edited my post with slight extra info.
I recall AES having different master clock, something else than 24MHz. I have none to look at though.
EDIT: AES master clock is 24.167829Hz. Seen on schematics on Neo Geo Dev wiki.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

3579545 Hz / 227.5 * 384 * 4 = 24167829 Hz

Makes sense, because there are 384 Neo Geo pixels per line, 4 master cycles per pixel, and 227.5 color cycles per line, and 3579545 color cycles per second.

Post by Guest »

Drew Sebastino wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:18 pm I'm pretty sure Metal Slug does that. I remember opening up the game and loading the files into Audacity as raw data and you could actually hear all the samples. They're not compressed in any way, but I bet sound samples are streamed directly from the cartridge to where neither CPU has access. I think it's a shame that more Neo Geo games didn't take more advantage of its FM channels, because the PCM abilities by themselves aren't that amazing for an arcade machine.
Yeah, sure you did. I assume you also loaded the C Rom data in MS Paint as 16 color bitmaps and got the game graphics. I tried that in Audacity, and I didn't hear the samples properly, though the least fucked up format was VOX ADPCM. Are you sure you aren't talking about some non Neo Geo version? No way in hell you got correctly sounding samples in stock Audiacity.