Editing the attribute table for more colorful sprites

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

tgotr

Editing the attribute table for more colorful sprites

Post by tgotr »

I am working on my first rom hack. Rom hacking Friday the 13th on the NES. I would like to edit the attribute table so the whole Jason sprite is more than three colors.

In my research, I've found NES Screen tool can do it, but I can not import the CHR dump that I got from famiROM. it says it's the wrong size. I've split the rom several times with different sizes, NESST won't take it.

What am I supposed to do? Is it because I already edited the rom before starting to use NES screen tool?
Dwedit

Re: Editing the attribute table for more colorful sprites

Post by Dwedit »

Forget "NES Screen Tool", it's not made for anything like this at all.

Jason is a bunch of sprites, so there is no involvement from the "Attribute Table", which is for background tiles only.

Sprites have attributes too, the second byte in sprite memory picks which of the 4 sprite palettes to use.
Last edited by Dwedit on Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tgotr

Re: Editing the attribute table for more colorful sprites

Post by tgotr »

Dwedit wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:24 pm Jason is a bunch of sprites, so there is no involvement from the "Attribute Table", which is for background tiles only.

Sprites have attributes too, the second byte in sprite memory picks which of the 4 sprite palettes to use.
I can find that out using the PPU viewer and edit that with a hex editor, right?