Stop byuu/near

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Controllerhead

Re: Stop byuu/near

Post by Controllerhead »

Appears that near put on a dynamite vest to blow up Kiwi Farms. How bizarre. What a waste of a brilliant mind. :?
coto

Post by coto »

I've met quite some people that has died due to different consequences (even from the military). There are factors leading do that, undoubtedly.
Though, I think byuu / near was a case that could be saved.

If anything, there are factors triggering depression more often, such as political decisions (like the WHO, covid dictatorship enforcing entire countries to close their workplaces, at least here in Chile). Others could be being unable to pay the rent, others may be a bit more personal.

I think Kiwifarms admins/people harrassed byuu should be prosecuted.

With that said, regardless, being a developer, is harsh.
When you're young, if you manage to fit your job, you get good pay but a stressful workplace. If you add hobbies to that, the stress is multiplied by 2.
Nevermind when you're old, since most likely you've abandoned your younger life prior to development. (there could be exceptions, but 80% the time I talk that to other older developers, the pattern repeats)

Also I think, maybe, a developer (hobbyist, and full time alike) should have groups where they could take care of themselves. I do work quite a lot on software that may be of use to other and upcoming developers, so they can earn some cash for a living (that has given excellent results in Chile, and literally this country has begun working on software dev full steam ahead).
Though, work will never fix health issues, development is supposed to give you challenges and to be enjoyed.

Of course, take care of your mental health, and do not doubt to write down thoughts or something if you aren't feeling OK. The idea of communities is to help each other and possibly improve other's lives through our passion. It's OK not to be 100% focused on developing stuff or being a machine.
And I rarely get to see threads talking about this, it's still sad what happened to byuu but as such, things like this must not be tolerated, accepted as is, and some community changes should be made about it in order to maybe, save a live or two. Life is not easy.
blargg

Post by blargg »

This has really saddened me to learn of. I had some doubt but someone who knew him well contacted me and confirmed it. He lived a tortured life. In our collaborations he was kind and generous and I will miss him.
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

We are a pretty diverse group of oddballs. Hopefully Near at least felt welcome here and not as an outlier other than their achievements.

I wonder what we could have done. Emulation of video games can be appealing to folks searching for meaning in life, pulling at distant pleasurable memories. And we can be a bit dry and abrasive in return, similar in ways to the machine itself, and that could certainly lead to or amplify feelings of hopelessness. I worry that we may be a destination for troubled people, and not recognizing that and providing any healthy path beyond us.

We are what we are, and I am not sure how we could provide comfort or support to someone like Near ahead of time. It is worth thinking about any lessons we could learn from this. I am drawing a blank unfortunately.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

blargg wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:00 pm This has really saddened me to learn of. I had some doubt but someone who knew him well contacted me and confirmed it. He lived a tortured life. In our collaborations he was kind and generous and I will miss him.
I never had much chance to talk to him except a few time here and there on twitter but after last year events it was not possible to talk to him much.

I'm happy to see a post from you after all those years, always enjoyed your answers and miss your interesting post but I would after preferred under better circumstance than this one. Even though I don't know him much it's like you just lost someone in your family/circle feeling.

Hope you are doing well too and hopefully some one your interesting tech post someday.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

Kiwi-farms is the poster child of anti-sjws becoming sjws themselves.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

That's very sad to know.
I didn't know him personally, but I admired his work a lot.
I think the only thing I can do for now is to pray for his soul. :cry: