Cave Driller - Procedural mining game

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Mazin

Cave Driller - Procedural mining game

Post by Mazin »

Hello! This is not only my first finished nes project, it's my first finished game in general.

I've been working on it since 5 months ago. It was made in nesasm3 and uses the Famistudio sound engine.

In this game you control a mining robot exploring a misterious cave in hopes of finding the source of a powerful newly discovered substance. To face the dangers of the cave, you will need to gather resources to craft weapons and various useful items.

Features:
- Randomly generated levels
- 10 usable items, 18 crafting recipes
- Recipe book to keep track of what you know how to make
- 3 bosses
- Password system to save your upgrades for future runs
TitleScreen.png
TitleScreen.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
Caves.png
Caves.png (7.66 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
Lava.gif
Lava.gif (180.06 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
The game is complete. This was suposed to be a really small game, but I fell prey to feature creep :lol: and now it uses the full 40kb.
Anyway, here is the game
Attachments
CaveDriller v2.2.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
CaveDriller v2.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by Mazin on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nia_prene

Re: Cave Driller - Procedural mining game

Post by nia_prene »

I love procedural generated stuff, can't wait to try it out. Does it have roguelile design where you lose everything on death?
Mazin

Post by Mazin »

It does have a roguelite design. You lose all of your items on death, but you keep your recipes, upgrades and some other stuff related to progression.
Rayquaza911

Post by Rayquaza911 »

Stuck on this screen, tried 2 different playthroughs, I assume this is before the 2nd boss? I can't dig the harder rock and sand it seems. What do I need to upgrade?
Attachments
cavedriller.png
Mazin

Post by Mazin »

That screen is in fact the boss. You need to shoot or burn the yellow blocks to do damage to it. There's more of that rock after that, but you can break it with any crafted drill then.
Mazin

Post by Mazin »

The game has been updated. Added a proper password screen, numbers indicating materials left during crafting, and a cheat password!

Some crazy bugs involving crafting have been fixed too.
And if i'm not mistaken the game was actually unbeatable before due to another bug, yikes.