'Ankha Zone' DPCM samples

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

OneCrudeDude

'Ankha Zone' DPCM samples

Post by OneCrudeDude »

Greetings, it's been a while since I last posted, and NESDev was down for a while, too. What's with this white theme? It hurts my eyes! In any case, in the past few months, for the unaware, there has been this rather... notorious animation featuring a certain character from a certain video game series, and it has gone viral around September or so (even if it is much older than that, evidently since the beginning of the year). It's so pervasive that merely googling her name will take you to it, how's that for "rule34 speedrunning"? I'd rather not make any statements about the animation itself, but the accompanying song, however, I am completely obsessed with, which is what this thread is about.

With my limited experience and Sheet Music Boss' piano tutorial, I tried creating an NES rendition of the mesmerizing song. In my opinion, it's the type of song where you go "completely ham" ala Zombie Nation and use rapid fire DPCM samples, and mix them around. It also sounds great with three leading voices, since we offloaded both percussion and bass to DPCM and can now use the triangle as a voice. I am not a fan of how the samples came out, especially not the orchestra hit, but I believe the bassline has potential. I love how crunchy and punchy it is, hopefully there's a better way to convert this sample, or even locate the raw sound itself. Maybe the orchestra hit too, but I reckon *any* orch hit will suffice.

I have attached the DPCM samples I crudely created, and my poor rendition of the song below that you may hear the samples in action.

https://vocaroo.com/1m4fDR3uIx15

I don't know why I did this, I guess I just needed this out of my system. I would also be completely willing to commission a proper adaptation of the song, and maybe a small game based around it.
Attachments
Ankha DPCM.zip
(223.28 KiB) Downloaded 131 times