About tile editing...

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Señor Ventura

Re: About tile editing...

Post by Señor Ventura »

Oziphantom wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:16 am you don't want the CGRAM address, although it shouldn't be 0, unless this is after it has written the last byte. You need to look at the code and work out if it using DMA or a manual copy loop and then find the starting address given to the DMA code or the manual copy loop.
Ok... i'm still battling with this, but i couldn't wait to advance something with this editing, and i'm adding every colors by hand. I can return to this later.

I liked more how the arthur's face results in the megadrive version, but in snes the blue of the eye is eclipsed by the black of the pupil, and it's not noticed at all.

The color 0x5980 for the blue is maybe darker than the necessary, but trying to figure out where are new blues is... slow.

What are the blue values of the snes palette?, i need the shinest one to overcome thak back of the pupil... ^^u

I know i cutted out his nose xD

I will try with #11 of the palette for the cheeks with R=f0 G=c6 B=c4, and #12 of the palette for the eye color with R=63 G=af B=d8.

edit: The new color values will be updated when i find them within the code I guess. Meanwhile these will remain as before, although i don't know what is supposed that is overwritten when i redefine colors in the palette with this program.

The process doesn't works, but...

-First i change the values of the colors by hand as is in the palette originally:

-Then i export the "image.png", and edit with gimp. After that i replace the "image.png" with the option "replace with .png" of the own snes tile kitten, giving me the next step:

But after creating the "rom.sfc", all the generated pixels are there, but not the new colors...

The other option is...

-To give firstly the values i want, changing directly the values of the colors #11 and #12 of the palette:

-And finally try to inject it again (notice how the two palettes now are the same, so, replace... what thing?):

...but the result is the same. The created rom has the new pixels, but not the colors...
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

the tool can't magically find the pallete for you, it can only replace it in the ROM if you tell it where it is to replace.
Señor Ventura

Post by Señor Ventura »

Oziphantom wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:09 am the tool can't magically find the pallete for you, it can only replace it in the ROM if you tell it where it is to replace.
Yes, as i said in the previous post, the work is done, but i never indicated any palette location to the program to make possible for it to apply those changes.

"Nape arthur"... the editing work is disastrous xD

P.D: Today i have all the afternoon to take a look with this, although i'm finding myself very busy lately.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

so I had a look, at the E known good dump version. The system is a bit convoluted it stores them packed into a look up table with an offset and copies them to $7EF400 which is the CG RAM MIRROR but stepping through the code
SNES SPACE : 0x049D72 is the first sprite palette, and Colour 0 is not included so make sure the box is ticked