Yeah Yeah Beebiss II

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Yeah Yeah Beebiss II

Post by tepples »

John Riggs made a fan sequel to Bandai's Famicom game Family Trainer: Rai Rai Kyonshis - Baby Kyonshi no Amida Daibouken. It's a single-screen action platformer called Yeah Yeah Beebiss II. The backgrounds make good use of black, which is the NES's strong suit. There aren't raster effects (though there don't need to be). Gameplay bears no relation to the original game; the first thing I saw was a kyonshi (hopping zombie) tasering ogre heads, and I thought "Oh gosh, is this another City Trouble?"

Videos
"The Legend RETURNS! Yeah Yeah Beebiss II is Out NOW for NES!"
By Square Pegs; runtime 9 minutes; gameplay starts at 0:22; YouTube thinks it's Kid Icarus
"Yeah Yeah Beebiss 2 (NES) (Homebrew) Yo! Noid (NES) Complete | Monday Classics"
By BrothersForgeGaming; runtime 191 minutes; gameplay starts at 0:04:24; YouTube thinks it's Yo! Noid
lancuster

Re: Yeah Yeah Beebiss II

Post by lancuster »

It's a romhack of the original unreleased prototype game.
calima

Post by calima »

lancuster wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:27 am It's a romhack of the original unreleased prototype game.
Nope. Please don't spread lies.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

calima wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:12 am
lancuster wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:27 am It's a romhack of the original unreleased prototype game.
Can you elaborate on this? Do you know any more about the development process that you can share? (Did Riggs program it? Who made the graphics? Who else was involved?)
calima

Post by calima »

I can't talk much, but Riggs made a long interview about it where you can find out more.
https://www.videogamesages.com/blogs/en ... eebiss-ii/
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

calima wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:12 am
"John Riggs: graphic, color & text editing."
As I thought. John Riggs doesn't know how to develop games, he knows how to do what I do.
tepples wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 pm John Riggs made a fan sequel to Bandai's Famicom game Family Trainer: Rai Rai Kyonshis - Baby Kyonshi no Amida Daibouken.
And this is definitely a lie. I was misled about the fact that this game is just a modified prototype of an unreleased game, and here is the statement that John Riggs made a sequel.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

John Riggs knows some romhacking indeed, but he has help from experts also. I assure you he has the source code for yeah yeah beebiss II (I've seen it).
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
tepples

Post by tepples »

This line from the interview makes it sound like he hired a programmer to make the engine of YYB2, much as Retrotainment hired me to make the engines of the Haunted games and hired Thomas Cipollone to make their soundtracks.
To my surprise, he said he’d just code me a new game (which plays like that homebrew I asked about) but making it unique to itself.
[...]
Since someone else coded the game for me and another friend did the music, my side is doing the graphics and will eventually get boxes and manuals designed and printed, too.
rychan

Post by rychan »

As long as the game is fun, etc, etc, it's nice to see a team effort on it :)
Probably The "Most Filthy Casual" NES ASM Developer https://refreshgames.co.uk/
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Just curious: Why does the exact origin of this game matter so much to some of you guys?
Drag

Post by Drag »

It's interesting to know where something comes from. That and if it's a rom hack of an unreleased prototype, it'd be good to get the original unmodified version of said prototype too (no matter how boring it might be). If it really is a completely original homebrew made by (some of) the same folks responsible for the original game, that's neat too because who else does that?
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

tokumaru wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:32 pm Just curious: Why does the exact origin of this game matter so much to some of you guys?
For me, it's because I'm less interested in the games themselves, as much as the process, community, and people behind the games. There's millions of games out there, and even being a new NES game isn't enough by itself to make me care about a game. What makes me care is knowing the struggles and work that the development team went through to make it. I care about what creative elements went into the game. Why the designers wanted to make THIS game. The personal journey of learning the NES tech well enough to make a game.

A game made by a faceless corporation isn't any more or less of quality game, but it makes me care less. A game made by people that I care about is significantly more interesting. So when I hear that Riggs made a game, I want to know more, because the "more" is the part that's interesting to me. The fact that he hired a programmer doesn't make it LESS interesting to me, but on the contrary, actually would make it MORE interesting, with more community members being involved with him. But hiding the collaborators and process DOES make it less interesting to me.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Anyway the style is nothing like commercial games of the time for the platform. I think it's pretty obvious just by looking at it that it's modern homebrew. Claiming otherwise would require solid proof.