What are some of the best, simplest web hosts these days?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Sivak

What are some of the best, simplest web hosts these days?

Post by Sivak »

I've been thinking about remaking a personal site but I am wondering about actually getting it hosted. I'm also thinking of doing it in Next.js although that isn't strictly a requirement. I don't see it being super heavy on content. Anyone have any hosts they like?

Thanks in advance.
-Sivak
Dwedit

Re: What are some of the best, simplest web hosts these days?

Post by Dwedit »

Github Pages is a decent host for static websites. You can even point a registered domain name there using a CNAME file.

In terms of performance, it's through the roof. You get CDNs serving everything.

Strictly static though. And all uploads happen via Git rather than FTP or SFTP. And your web repository is also public, so no hidden content.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Garth

Post by Garth »

As I was reading the question above, our son drove up for a quick visit, so I asked him. My site is on Digital Ocean which he picked for various features he wanted on other sites he has and manages. He says there are cheaper hosting services if you don't need everything he does; but good grief— at $5/mo it's already cheaper than just the electric bill was to host these at home in our garage which is something you can also do on an old PC. The upload speed at Digital Ocean's virtual servers is also extremely fast compared to what our connection speed at home was, so if there are lots of visitors downloading pages at once, they won't keep each other waiting. We also did not have a static IP address, and every time there was any kind of hiccup, a new IP address would get assigned, and then no one could access the site until he would fix the DNS. No such problem with Digital Ocean of course.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
Drag

Post by Drag »

I've had decent luck with Dreamhost, but I'm only familiar with their shared hosting, rather than their VPS or cloud services.
pubby

Post by pubby »

I'll second GitHub pages for static content. It's free!
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

As much as it pains me to recommend google these days, Google Cloud has a free tier VM which I've used for hosting for the past few years. Sometimes I accidentally get too much traffic and it ends up being not-free, but the bill has never been more than $1 in a month.

Of course, being Google, the documentation is trash (it's nearly impossible to find correct documentation that really explains the free tier), and they randomly change things up on you (they occasionally change the free tier and you have to switch your VM specs slightly). So I can't say it's among the _simplest_ web hosts. But...it's a reasonable small VM for free.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

If you are comfortable with ssh (and the related sftp/rsync protocols) directly into a server, then I recommend what I'm using, nearlyfreespeech.net. It's what I've been using for the past 12 years, and with the way they run their business they will far outlast my lifetime in terms longevity.

Hasn't yet broken the bank even when I was a poor college student. Currently costing me $0.50/mo, for what's basically a parked site.
Sivak

Post by Sivak »

Thanks all for the suggestions. Most appreciated.

I'm still working on things locally. I'm doing it in Next.js. Will post what I went with when it's time to make that decision.
-Sivak
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

You said, “what are… the best… web hosts…”.

https://serverpoint.com is the best, imo.

Found it back when it was aplushosting.com… and grabbed an excellent hosting account for $25 a year.

That $25 per year is no longer available, but they are a top notch hosting service. They check their servers constantly; e-mail when they go down (I don’t ever remember receiving that type of email; they also upgrade servers and send emails saying exactly when it will be upgraded, exactly what will be upgraded, why, and how long it will be down); I’ve been with them for years and years; everything they offer your plan ALWAYS works.

Learned php and Java and was able to make a site using those. If you ever have a question about your account, simply email their excellent support.

serverpoint.com is excellent! :D