ROOMS and Cur Manor

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

JonnyManjiro

ROOMS and Cur Manor

Post by JonnyManjiro »

]Hey everyone, first post on this forum.

If I'm being honest, I was a little reluctant to post these because there is so much amazing homebrew in here, but I just wanted to share a couple games I've made, mainly to see if I can get some feedback.

Download links and playthrough videos:

ROOMS
https://www.romhacking.net/homebrew/153/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6rXpCFG-Jg&t=22s

Cur Manor
https://www.romhacking.net/homebrew/154/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTXyI3pPgxU
Banshaku

Re: ROOMS and Cur Manor

Post by Banshaku »

There is nothing wrong to post a project of any scope. We all have to start somewhere ;)
JonnyManjiro

Post by JonnyManjiro »

Banshaku wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:15 pm There is nothing wrong to post a project of any scope. We all have to start somewhere ;)
Thanks for saying so :beer:
I'll probably stick to simple games like these for a while before I attempt more daunting challenges like scrolling 😅
Mazin

Post by Mazin »

I really like the mechanic in Cur Manor of having to search the enemies instead of them just dropping stuff.

I think the weakes point of the games is the graphics, but you could easily add a little variety by just changin the palette or the tiles every floor, or every few levels in the case of rooms.
JonnyManjiro

Post by JonnyManjiro »

Mazin wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:52 am I really like the mechanic in Cur Manor of having to search the enemies instead of them just dropping stuff.

I think the weakes point of the games is the graphics, but you could easily add a little variety by just changin the palette or the tiles every floor, or every few levels in the case of rooms.
Thanks for the feedback Mazin! I agree about the graphics - I think I'll try and create a stock of graphics before starting my next project.
calima

Post by calima »

There's plenty on opengameart.
sdm

Post by sdm »

Cut Manor is stuck on the start screen on MESEN (with setting: Default power on state for RAM: Random Values) - so it can be the same on a real cart.
JonnyManjiro

Post by JonnyManjiro »

sdm wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:25 pm Cut Manor is stuck on the start screen on MESEN (with setting: Default power on state for RAM: Random Values) - so it can be the same on a real cart.
Thank you for pointing this out!

I think I've resolved the issue by adding code to assign zero to the WRAM values starting from $6000.

I actually was wondering if I needed to alter my clear memory routines since I'm using MMC1. Right now I'm just clearing $0000~$07FF and $6000~$6FFF. I suppose I could clear out through $7FFF just to be safe, but my assigned variables only go up to $6326.
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

In my experience, it's a good idea to initialize all RAM, even if you don't intend to use it, because you may have a bug that uses that uninitialized RAM and thus may produce different behavior on different systems or power cycles. "Keroppi to Keroriinu no Splash Bomb!" on Famicom has such a bug, and the particular values determine whether the game will crash on the final boss or not. If it had initialized all RAM to 0, the crash would not happen (or if a crashy value had been chosen, would have always happened and likely been caught in development)
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Fiskbit wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:45 pm In my experience, it's a good idea to initialize all RAM, even if you don't intend to use it, because you may have a bug that uses that uninitialized RAM and thus may produce different behavior on different systems or power cycles. "Keroppi to Keroriinu no Splash Bomb!" on Famicom has such a bug, and the particular values determine whether the game will crash on the final boss or not. If it had initialized all RAM to 0, the crash would not happen (or if a crashy value had been chosen, would have always happened and likely been caught in development)
While this is true, I think it's even more important to make sure you have your emulator set to randomize ram. (and if using an emulator that supports it, randomize the mapper state as well). It might help you DISCOVER the bugs that reference unexpected ram locations.