Who wants to disassemble EarthBound Zero?

Are you new to 6502, NES, or even programming in general? Post any of your questions here. Remember - the only dumb question is the question that remains unasked.

Moderator: Moderators

Albert1983

Re: Who wants to disassemble EarthBound Zero?

Post by Albert1983 »

unregistered wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:08 pm
Albert1983 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:50 am I already downloaded the Mesen emulator, now what do I have to do to get the cdl file?
Mesen’s cdl files are stored in its Debugger folder. There isn’t a button to push to create a Mesen cdl file, I don’t think so at least. Mesen writes to the game’s cdl file all the time while running a game. This constant access required thwarts a create-cdl-button/option (i.e. ex. cdl-byte-bits are changed depending if nes bytes have been visited or not).

If you are running hello.nes, the cdl file will be called hello.cdl 🙂

EDIT: sry, guess Mesen’s debugger has to be opened (possible after a game is loaded) in order to cause cdl creation. Also, within Mesen’s debugger window, click Tools>“Code/Data Logger” and make sure there is a check next to “Auto load/save log file”.

With ^that unchecked, it’s possible to load a changed cdl file with an alternate name (i.e. to see how those changes affect the debugger).
Thanks for the info, but i had done that before, but the information in the cdl file was not saved.. Every time I closed and reopened the emulator, the information in the cdl file was erased and recorded again from scratch.

In the end I decided to do it in FCEUX because it seemed easier to me and the information was saved.
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

Albert1983 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:16 pmThanks for the info, but i had done that before, but the information in the cdl file was not saved.. Every time I closed and reopened the emulator, the information in the cdl file was erased and recorded again from scratch.

In the end I decided to do it in FCEUX because it seemed easier to me and the information was saved.
Hmmm, sorry, I’m unsure how to fix that weirdness now (if it is weirdness); but, it should be quite simple to work around that.

Simply run the emulator, play whatever in the game, press pause when done, leave Mesen paused and visit Mesen’s Debugger folder, copy your .cdl file, paste that copy somewhere else, then go back and close Mesen like normal.

That way you should be left with that valid copy of the .cdl file to submit here. :)

Note: copy = ctrl+c
paste = ctrl+v
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

^Oh, maybe your Mesen folder is not writeable?

In “This PC”, on Windows 10, find Mesen’s folder; right click that folder, visit: Properties>Security and make sure “Write” is checked (under “Allow”).

EDIT: if write is not allowed for your Mesen folder (that’s how mine was), I believe I had to do a registry edit to allow that bc that list wasn’t adjustable.

If I see that’s your problem, I’ll quickly relearn how to make your Mesen folder writeable and explain the process, if you’d like. :)
Albert1983

Post by Albert1983 »

unregistered wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:36 pm
Albert1983 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:16 pmThanks for the info, but i had done that before, but the information in the cdl file was not saved.. Every time I closed and reopened the emulator, the information in the cdl file was erased and recorded again from scratch.

Hmmm, sorry, I’m unsure how to fix that weirdness now (if it is weirdness); but, it should be quite simple to work around that.

Simply run the emulator, play whatever in the game, press pause when done, leave Mesen paused and visit Mesen’s Debugger folder, copy your .cdl file, paste that copy somewhere else, then go back and close Mesen like normal.

That way you should be left with that valid copy of the .cdl file to submit here. :)

Note: copy = ctrl+c
paste = ctrl+v
Ok I'm going to try to do what you say.

But, if I can find someone else to work with the unmount and they will accept the cdl file I created with FCEUX, I will notify them in this post.

But anyway thanks for the information.
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

You’re welcome. 😊
2fadfe

Post by 2fadfe »

I guess he didn't find anybody to work with?
Known as Duncan Idaho #0087 on the Discord Server.
tepples

Post by tepples »