bouncing DVD logo demo :D

A place where you can keep others updated about your SNES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

bouncingDVDlogo

bouncing DVD logo demo :D

Post by bouncingDVDlogo »

:D Enjoy this 256 byte demo of a DVD logo that bounces around the screen.
Attachments
out.sfc
(32 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
bouncingDVDlogo

Re: bouncing DVD logo demo :D

"but Bouncing DVD Logo", I hear you clamor, "my SNES has broken RAM chips." Luckily, I made a revision that doesn't require any RAM :D
Attachments
out.sfc
rev.2
(32 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

Very nice work! This is making me want to brainstorm some more SNES sizecoding ideas, it's something I haven't really thought about in a while.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

the second one fails in Mesen-S for me, first one works though.
bouncingDVDlogo

Revenant wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:00 pm Very nice work! This is making me want to brainstorm some more SNES sizecoding ideas, it's something I haven't really thought about in a while.
Thanks!
Oziphantom wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:34 pm the second one fails in Mesen-S for me, first one works though.
Here's a new revision that works in Mesen-S, it doesn't rely on the unused R/W byte in the DMA registers at $43xB.
Attachments
out.sfc
rev.3
(32 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

bouncingDVDlogo wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:54 pm :D Enjoy this 256 byte demo of a DVD logo that bounces around the screen.
Is this something that's normally hard to do on the SNES then?

Can you explain to me [in laymen's terms] what special thing you are doing here that I, as someone who doesn't know how to program for SNES, wouldn't be aware of when thinking about what it might take to bounce an object around the screen as such, and how you are maybe doing it in a cool/novel way?

I'm genuinely curious to understand the particular achievement here better.
Last edited by iNCEPTIONAL on Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

bouncingDVDlogo wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:50 pm "but Bouncing DVD Logo", I hear you clamor, "my SNES has broken RAM chips." Luckily, I made a revision that doesn't require any RAM :D
Oziphantom wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:34 pm the second one fails in Mesen-S for me, first one works though.
Wait, is this no-RAM version actually tested on real hardware?

If so, which model?
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
bouncingDVDlogo

Nikku4211 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:39 am Wait, is this no-RAM version actually tested on real hardware?

If so, which model?
No, just emulation (EDIT: if anyone could test it on hardware that would be greatly appreciated!)
iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:05 am
bouncingDVDlogo wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:54 pm :D Enjoy this 256 byte demo of a DVD logo that bounces around the screen.

Can you explain to me [in laymen's terms] what special thing you are doing here that I, as someone who doesn't know how to program for SNES, wouldn't be aware of when thinking about what it might take to bounce an object around the screen as such, and how you are maybe doing it in a cool/novel way?

There's not a lot of fancy stuff going on in the demo, just a few tricks with graphics and code reuse to save space. The logo is on a background tilemap, it's not a sprite, so the demo just scrolls BG1 around (with the BG1HOFS and BG1VOFS registers) to make it bounce. Check it out in a debugger
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

bouncingDVDlogo wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:13 pm No, just emulation (EDIT: if anyone could test it on hardware that would be greatly appreciated!)
Just tested all 3 versions on my model 1 US SNES with an FXPak Pro cartridge, and they work just fine. The logo looks a bit weird, though.

My model 1 US SNES does have working RAM, though. If your SNES doesn't have working RAM, there's much more important things to worry about than some DVD screensaver demo.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

bouncingDVDlogo wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:13 pm
Nikku4211 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:39 am Wait, is this no-RAM version actually tested on real hardware?

If so, which model?
No, just emulation (EDIT: if anyone could test it on hardware that would be greatly appreciated!)
iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:05 am

There's not a lot of fancy stuff going on in the demo, just a few tricks with graphics and code reuse to save space. The logo is on a background tilemap, it's not a sprite, so the demo just scrolls BG1 around (with the BG1HOFS and BG1VOFS registers) to make it bounce. Check it out in a debugger
Cool. I will do.