Famicom controller connectors

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

NLeseul

Famicom controller connectors

Post by NLeseul »

Just to be sure, there's no known part number for the controller connectors on the original Famicom board, and no way to source them other than taking them off an original board, right? I've seen them described online as "Molex connectors," but Molex seems to make an awful lot of connectors, and I haven't found any part that looks like the right connector in a cursory search.

It would be kind of nice to make boards that the original controllers can be plugged into without having to cut off and replace the original connectors. Not the biggest deal if it's not possible, but I thought I'd ask around here, just in case.

Just to dump what I'm currently aware of: The male connectors on the controllers have unusual forked pins. I don't have an original Famicom currently, so I'm not able to look closely at the receptacles on the board, but from photos it looks like they probably have a bent/folded piece of copper that fits into the hollow in the middle of the forked pins? There is an "AMP" logo on the underside of the male connectors. The other side of the connectors have two-digit numbers on them, but the numbers are different on a couple of otherwise-identical connectors I have, so I don't think they're a part number or anything.