Fundamental Question about Triangle Generator

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

amdrecording

Fundamental Question about Triangle Generator

Post by amdrecording »

Hey group,

I'm just dipping my toe into the NES MUSIC waters, and as I go through some of my favorite soundtracks from olden days, I'm realizing that most of the TRIANGLE layers sound identical... so... is that the case?

The 2 pulse layers have lots of variation, but is the Triangle element a "fixed" shape/sound?

Thanks!

amd
Drag

Re: Fundamental Question about Triangle Generator

Post by Drag »

Yes, the triangle channel produces exactly one waveform, and there's no volume control, only ON or OFF.
amdrecording

Post by amdrecording »

Thanks! That helps a lot :)
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

The volume of the triangle channel can be affected by the DC level of the DMC channel. Super Mario Bros. 1 apparently does this though I have never actually noticed or tried to hear it.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

SMB1 doesn't do much with it, it basically sets to either high or low for each song (with a buzzing sound while it steps into position between tracks).

StarTropics uses it while it's fading out music to partially fade out the triangle. I think that's the most advance use of that technique I've seen in an older game.

I think most developers weren't aware at all that those two signals affect each other.