Operating system for the NES.

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

ZeroDivisionGuy

Re: Operating system for the NES.

Post by ZeroDivisionGuy »

Controllerhead wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:45 pm Being "technically capable" of completing a project and "spending years of your life to see it through" are two entirely different things. It's nice to have big dreams and plans, but, the devil is in the details.

I think ignoring and dismissing both the best minds of NESdev and previous projects that have done what you're trying to accomplish are mistakes, but, no one is going to stop you from writing as much code as you want how you want to write it. Go for it. Maybe you will see it through, and i hope you do, but i won't be holding my breath.
It's really easy to do it, i don't know if that is clearly visible, but that's why i wanted to do that, because how easy it is to do.
It will also let me test a lot of stuff on a real NES. Like the fact that you have to read two times from PPU adresses $0000-$3EFE, but only one time from $3EFF-$3FFF.
ZeroDivisionGuy

Post by ZeroDivisionGuy »

lidnariq wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:48 am So either you don't want to copy other people, or you want "the best" hardware. Which is it? Because I can guarantee the design you've made is inferior right now.
Yeah and i can guarentee that you're rude at this point.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

You're right, and for that I apologize.

However, you have a bunch of bad design decisions in your specification. What could I have said to persuade you to reevaluate them?
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

No, lidnariq is not rude. He is going out of his way to point out some harsh realities that you just don't want to hear. This happens here a lot and I can tell you #1 takeaway is that we DO NOT mean to crush your dreams. You must understand that it may feel that way from your perspective because your ideas are very meaningful to you on a personal level. However, we see it without that bias and we tell you the truth. You have to expect that and see and respect the value in it, and adapt to the feedback.

Lidnariq has earned a high level of respect and, obscured by your own personal investment in this idea, you decided to disregard things that he is saying in favor of your own judgement. Your judgment is (to be honest) vastly inferior due specifically to the fact that you are too attached at a personal level, which makes any critique feel like a personal attack to you. It is a conflict of interest. You are prioritizing people liking your idea as-is over morphing your idea into something better suited for as many people as possible. What you are seeing from lidnariq is an appropriate rejection of this self-centered mentality, and I support it.
Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead »

ZeroDivisionGuy wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:47 am It's really easy to do it, i don't know if that is clearly visible, but that's why i wanted to do that, because how easy it is to do.
I didn't catch that part. Clearly you're a way better developer than i am. Why don't you show us how it's done?
ZeroDivisionGuy wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:47 am It will also let me test a lot of stuff on a real NES.
I'll take an emulator with a step through debugger any day. The real NES is there to prove that the emulators aren't lying to me =p Most of the time, they are pretty trustworthy, thanks to all the hard work of the fine folks around these parts. It's much appreciated.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I think OP shouldn't take the advice of everyone the wrong way. Lidnariq and Boldt maybe should have said what they said in another way, but no one is trying to convince you to stop doing this project. I think it's interesting as I've played with the idea of making a homecomputer out of the Famicom before, but it's definitely not in my league.
sysware

Post by sysware »

Hey my friend, so how is your idea? I think it's really good.
can I help?
ZeroDivisionGuy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:15 pm I've had an idea: making an OS for the NES. A kernel that you can use to execute commands like on the Apple 2.