SNES 101 : Horizontal Scrolling with blocks example

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Oziphantom

SNES 101 : Horizontal Scrolling with blocks example

Post by Oziphantom »

I made and uploaded an intermediate/advanced horizontal scrolling example for the SNES using 4x4 blocks.

https://github.com/oziphantom/ElementsS ... lScrolling

there is a prebuilt sfc for those that don't want to compile https://github.com/oziphantom/ElementsS ... zontal.sfc
Last edited by Oziphantom on Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pokun

Re: Horizontal Scrolling with blocks example

Post by Pokun »

Much appreciated. The SNES is in need of working examples.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

Oziphantom wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:17 am I made and uploaded an intermediate/advanced horizontal scrolling example for the SNES using 4x4 blocks.

https://github.com/oziphantom/ElementsS ... lScrolling

there is a prebuilt sfc for those that don't want to compile https://github.com/oziphantom/ElementsS ... zontal.sfc
Wait, you're saying that rather than the smallest documented 8x8 blocks [tiles], that I'm aware of, you've managed to make it output 4x4 blocks [tiles]?

My assumption here then is that it means ultimately finer detail in the repeated tiles patterns, so it would make any repetition less obvious in the right hands, correct?

If this is the case, what are the downsides to this? What have you have to sacrifice to get finer tiles?
Last edited by iNCEPTIONAL on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

I think he means 4x4 blocks as in 32x32 pixel blocks that are made out of 4x4 8x8 tiles.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

psycopathicteen wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:47 am I think he means 4x4 blocks as in 32x32 pixel blocks that are made out of 4x4 8x8 tiles.
If that's the case, is there' anything particularly noteworthy to see here then? Or is he just showing off some of his early work for fun?
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:49 am
psycopathicteen wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:47 am I think he means 4x4 blocks as in 32x32 pixel blocks that are made out of 4x4 8x8 tiles.
If that's the case, is there' anything particularly noteworthy to see here then? Or is he just showing off some of his early work for fun?
Noteworthy??? I'm assuming you didn't mean so, but that can come off a little condescending. Doing a 32x32 meta-tile map engine isn't exactly beginner stuff. Ozi is just providing some proof-of-concept/examples for snes dev.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:49 am If that's the case, is there' anything particularly noteworthy to see here then? Or is he just showing off some of his early work for fun?
Dude, he's just showing people how to do 32x32 metatiles. No need to throw your weight around.
turboxray wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:04 am Noteworthy??? I'm assuming you didn't mean so, but that can come off a little condescending.
Yep. And he's also pretty much irrelevant.
Oziphanto's doing a service to aspiring SNES homebrew programmers by showing us how it's done, this is not the thread for people who want to participate in a condescension contest.

Gaining the higher egotistic ground isn't worth the derailing of the thread. Not even close to being worth it.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

Nikku4211 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:42 pm
iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:49 am If that's the case, is there' anything particularly noteworthy to see here then? Or is he just showing off some of his early work for fun?
Dude, he's just showing people how to do 32x32 metatiles. No need to throw your weight around.
I'm not "throwing my weight around". lol

I was literally trying to understand what the post was about, be it some cool feat he'd achieved or just something he was posting for fun.

It's all right there in what I said.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:57 am I'm not "throwing my weight around". lol

I was literally trying to understand what the post was about, be it some cool feat he'd achieved or just something he was posting for fun.

Okay, but there's this thing called context and connotation that takes what you said and adds a layer to it. Even if you did not intend such a connotation, perhaps you should have thought before you decided to post that.

Like, a simple 'Oh, I see.' would have been enough. It would have been all that was necessary.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

Nikku4211 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:15 am
iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:57 am I'm not "throwing my weight around". lol

Okay, but there's this thing called context and connotation that takes what you said and adds a layer to it. Even if you did not intend such a connotation, perhaps you should have thought before you decided to post that.

Like, a simple 'Oh, I see.' would have been enough. It would have been all that was necessary.
Oh, I see.