Reverse en + dump of pocket VT-xx based handheld famiclone (Karaoto Video Juego Interactivo)

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Denine

Re: Reverse en + dump of pocket VT-xx based handheld famiclone (Karaoto Video Juego Interactivo)

Post by Denine »

Out of curiosity, I had a look at why Crash may lag so much.
Turns out the game processes all objects in the level at all times.
You can 0xFF object ids at 0x301~0x32F(0x300 is player character) which will delete all objects on the map. Once done, game will not lag, but player still moves at snail speed.
Bonus info: Game loads animation for Wumpa fruits into PPU but animation frames are unused.
tokumaru

Re: Reverse en + dump of pocket VT-xx based handheld famiclone (Karaoto Video Juego Interactivo)

Post by tokumaru »

And how can it fit all objects in RAM at once?!?
Denine

Post by Denine »

By not having many variables for each object, I think(I didnt look too deep into this).
Interestingly, Objects that go right and left(like that flower or crawling...thing) have to separate ids. Probably to save on RAM usage(so they didnt need to have a RAM table with direction value).
It also limits objects to 48 per level.(46 if you dont count player and HUD lifes icon).
I guess it could do better and have some objects like fruit and boxes as background tiles instead of objects.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

I think you should watch and compare Forest Kid ROM and this game. Crash Bandicoot and Metal Slug were created on its basis.
Also were created: Thunder Man, Commando, Curly Monkey 1 & 2 (VT03).
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Denine wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:45 pm Out of curiosity, I had a look at why Crash may lag so much.
Turns out the game processes all objects in the level at all times.
You can 0xFF object ids at 0x301~0x32F(0x300 is player character) which will delete all objects on the map. Once done, game will not lag, but player still moves at snail speed.
Bonus info: Game loads animation for Wumpa fruits into PPU but animation frames are unused.
If you change the byte at this address (0x1017f), the animation will be displayed, but I don't know which byte to enter here.
Denine

Post by Denine »

Thanks.
Changing that value makes so the fruit changes into different object when animation finishes....how bizzare.
Anyway, it makes sense to, once animation finishes, have it change into itself.
The value for that is 0x07.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Yeah, it's working now. :D
By the way. The game planned a lot more blocks, but they remained just solid blocks, some of them are returned after blowing up.
lancuster

Post by lancuster »

Besides. Crash Bandicoot also announced in the 888888-in-1 (8 bit Slim Station, NEWPXP-DVT22-A PCB) multicart:
Crash Bandicoot Announce.png
kelvin donna

Post by kelvin donna »

we tackled the Nicecode Mario Kart Version

Super :D
Last edited by kelvin donna on Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeslide

Post by bladeslide »

Thanks a bunch for sharing the dumps!
Nokia3310

Post by Nokia3310 »

Big thanks for sharing this. I was looking for the Intellivision plug and play roms as a Project Nested experiment, found this instead and got a bit sidetracked.

For those that don't know, Project Nested is a program that can make many NES games compatible with original SNES hardware using only a SNES flashcart. I won't go into all that here but I got most of the original Atari Flashback games working on SNES this way.

I'm part way through testing these (going through in alphabetical order) and over half of them are compatible so far. I'm probably the first person to have seen Crash Bandicoot and Angry Birds running on a SNES, albeit unofficial, unlicensed, bootleg, terrible versions but also actually released on plug and play consoles. Exciting times to be alive haha. To be fair, I like a lot of these for what they are. Fire Dragon and Bomb Sweeper are my favourites so far.

Here's what I've found (with info for anyone that wants to use Project Nested to create SNES versions):

Code: Select all

Abscondee - Works (standard settings on Project Nested v1.4.2) 

Aether Cruiser - Not compatible. The HUD duplicates and follows around the screen. Note: Nestopia emulator runs the game in the same way. 

Aim Cruise - Works but sounds aren't very accurate and title screen has misaligned graphics 

Amusement Park Jumping Kid - Doesn't work. Freezes before character appears on first level. 

Angry Birds - Works (standard settings on Project Nested v1.4.2) 

Animal Contest - Works (disable 'Stack emulation, Native return address' in settings on Project Nested v1.4.2)
Personal note: What is this?! You press a button, animals appear from behind two curtains, return into one of the two curtains and then the scores go up or down. It seems there's no way to control what the outcome is, the outcome makes no sense even if you could. It's like a child had an idea for a game that isn't really a game but someone spent a lot of time making it anyway. I must be missing something here. Or maybe I'm not. 

Blocks World - Works (standard settings on Project Nested v1.4.2) 

Bomb Sweeper - Works (standard settings on Project Nested v1.4.2)
Personal note: I like this. Good puzzle game. It reminds me of the old Nintendo Game & Watch LCD games. It is probably a remake of one of those but I don't know which one. 

Box World - incompatible (can't get past title screen, the second music note just loops) 

Bug Catcher - Works (standard settings on Project Nested v1.4.2) 

Checkers - Works (standard settings on Project Nested v1.4.2) 

Contra MMC3 - incompatible (same issue as the original rom where the game freezes when you shoot a power up) 

Crash Bandicoot - Works but slowly (disable 'Stack emulation, Native return address' in settings on Project Nested v1.4.2). Note: the results have significantly more slowdown than the unforgivably slow game that it already is 

Fire Dragon- Works (standard settings on Project Nested v1.4.2)
Personal note: It's a game based on Snake, so obviously I like this 

Fruit Gift - Works (standard settings on Project Nested v1.4.2) 

Golden Bird - Works (standard settings on Project Nested v1.4.2)

darleiv

Post by darleiv »

cryz have you seen this one? here in Brazil it is very common and does not repeat the games. I've never seen how they are made because they are silicon bubbles
hqdefault.jpg
D_NQ_NP_940456-MLB44806406292_022021-W.jpg
dynacom.JPG