nes/famicom on breadboard

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Fodelao

nes/famicom on breadboard

Post by Fodelao »

Hi pal, this is my first post here on this platform.

Nice to meet you all, I'm a C/C++ programmer and lately I'm quite interested in old hardware.

I want to build a famicom on a breadboard using the original chips RP2A03 and RP2C02 or the clones UA6527 and UA6528.

I searched the internet and found only a video of nes on breadnoard, but it was a short video, less than a minute, that merely showed the system working, without further explanation.

So I would like to know if anyone has already done this here, and especially to get from you guys a minimal guide on what path I should follow to achieve this goal, as a beginner in retro hardware.

Any suggestion is welcome, thanks in advance.
lidnariq

Re: nes/famicom on breadboard

Post by lidnariq »

This is basically identical to hooking together any legacy system - you'll need to connect the address buses and data buses as appropriate. Totally doable, an awful lot of wires.

Schematics for the NES and Famicom exist - you'll just be instantiating them.

You might try searching for people who have made breadboard other video game consoles, like the ColecoVision or the MSX.

Do you have specific questions?
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Another interesting project would be to build the NES APU and PPU on a breadboard. :)
Fodelao

Post by Fodelao »

NewRisingSun wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:39 am Another interesting project would be to build the NES APU and PPU on a breadboard. :)
Yes, these are interesting projects. As for the PPU on a breadboard I found, some time ago, a guy who made it partially, you can see this link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/beneater/comme ... readboard/

The APU on breadboard I've never found anyone who has done it.

As for the NES on breadboard, it seems to me that Krzysiobal ​​did it, it was the only occurrence I could find on the internet.

As for the entire NES on breadboard, using the CPU and PPU chips, I think Krzysiobal ​​did it, it was the only occurrence I could find on the internet. Here is link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ysNWR2-WCk
Fodelao

Post by Fodelao »

lidnariq wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:32 pm This is basically identical to hooking together any legacy system - you'll need to connect the address buses and data buses as appropriate. Totally doable, an awful lot of wires.

Schematics for the NES and Famicom exist - you'll just be instantiating them.

You might try searching for people who have made breadboard other video game consoles, like the ColecoVision or the MSX.

Do you have specific questions?
I must admit to myself that while I am a relatively experienced game programmer, in hardware I am nothing more than a beginner.

Maybe this post is better suited to the beginners section, I apologize for not having thought about it before, but I would like some kind of roadmap to get the knowledge to carry out this project of creating nes/famicom on a breadboard.

I've done a lot of research on the internet, but I'm not sure where to start.

Do you have any tutorials, courses or something to recommend?

Some material that you consider good for a beginner to get good knowledge of hardware, something like a "nerd nights" for hardware learning, not necessarily involving nes/famicom hardware, but teaching basic concepts that will be useful for working on nes/famicom hardware in the future.