I made a SNES ROM entirely with a HEX editor

A place where you can keep others updated about your SNES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Are you impressed by what tool I used to make it?

Oh yeah yeah!
69%
O no no!
15%
I dunno...
15%

Total votes: 13

LucianoTheWindowsFan

I made a SNES ROM entirely with a HEX editor

Post by LucianoTheWindowsFan »

Hey ho! So one of my challenges I had in my head today is none other than a SNES ROM not made with an assembler nor a hacking tool. No no no! I instead made it using a HEX editor.

We present you this demo of a ROM made with HxD. It just shows a white screen, and that's it.

Download it now, you won't believe it!

Update: Admins, please move it to SNESdev Homebrew Projects.
Attachments
ROM.sfc
ROM of the demo.
(32 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
The SNES is my favorite console, not only because it is an upgrade to the NES, but because it had some quality games as well (e.g. EarthBound and Kirby's Dream Land 3).
Shonumi

Re: I made a SNES ROM entirely with a HEX editor

Post by Shonumi »

Impressive! This reminds me of how I used to handcraft GBA test ROMs back in 2014. I still do quick Game Boy ROM hacks via hex editor some times as well, just a couple dozen instructions here and there.

Despite how cumbersome this method can be, as opposed to using an assembler, it can be a good learning experience in certain ways.

Any plans to expand what your ROM can do? I think it would make for a nice challenge to draw basic stuff and move it around. Wouldn't even need user input, just a sort of "screen saver" kinda thing would be neat!
Nikku4211

Re: I made a SNES ROM entirely with a HEX editor

Post by Nikku4211 »

You deserve an award for being determined while making this ROM.
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.