Unique Tile Finder tool

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Unique Tile Finder tool

Post by rainwarrior »

I discovered this tool today called Unique Tile Finder:
https://mrlevrocks.itch.io/utf

It takes an image and discovers redundant tiles on it, either collecting them or removing them. Basically a generic tool for looking at tile reuse.
DarkKodKod

Re: Unique Tile Finder tool

Post by DarkKodKod »

That is awesome!! What a good find!!
0x8BitDev

Post by 0x8BitDev »

The same thing you can do with the MAPeD editor. Use the MAPeD-NES for the NES maps etc...

1. Import a game map as indexed BMP image.
2. Use the resulted map/tiles in the editor or you can export imported tiles as image.
3. Also you can see tiles usage to optimize your map.

There are a lot of example maps in the ./data/tiles-maps directory.
Yave Yu

Post by Yave Yu »

Interesting stuff֍
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I also wrote a program which does this (called ff-uniq), but only the equivalent of mode 1 so far (maybe the other modes might also be made later, but currently it is not), and only deals with a vertical strip (but I also wrote a program called ff-strip to convert it to/from a vertical strip, or other arrangements). However, it is written in C and does not require Java, and Linux instead of Windows (it might also run on Mac OS X and on WSL, but I have not tried this), and not itch.io.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
fskn

Post by fskn »

Interesting. I have used Pro Motion NG to do the same thing.
I wish somebody would make a tool that would show you tiles that are not unique, but very similar to others, so that you could cut one of those off for optimization.
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

rainwarrior wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:31 pm I discovered this tool today called Unique Tile Finder:
https://mrlevrocks.itch.io/utf

It takes an image and discovers redundant tiles on it, either collecting them or removing them. Basically a generic tool for looking at tile reuse.
Probably wrote a few of these over the years. I wrote one last year in python, and even exports to Tiled map+tile format (it uses a clean/nice XML format). If you use "sets" instead of lists in python, then sets have inherit hash and makes for fast tile compares. Numpy also makes this really fast ( I used it for linear transformations and then compared for horizontal and vertical flipped tiles). It's nice because python just works.. with mac, linux, and windows no problem. It's been my go-to cross platform scripting language for a while now. Even gui scripts with built-in Tkinter for python.