Sorting by number of replies

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

jeffythedragonslayer

Sorting by number of replies

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

Does anyone know an easy way to view threads in order of number of replies? I saw an old unanswered question that I knew the answer to but I'm having a hard time finding it with search. It would be a nice way to make sure questions on this forum don't go unanswered and more people stay in the community.
rainwarrior

Re: Sorting by number of replies

Post by rainwarrior »

There's a list of unanswered topics accessible from the "quick links" hamburger menu at the top left.

I don't know of a way to sort by number of replies though. This only works for 0 replies.
jeffythedragonslayer

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

Oh my gosh, that is such a huge number of unanswered questions that I feel a little discouraged. I wonder how many people have left the scene over the years over not getting a response and feeling ignored, like no one cares about helping them get up and running, and so they feel stuck struggling to figure stuff out all on their own. In a lot of these cases I think an encouraging "oh I don't know how to help you but good luck" is better than nothing. I don't think it reflects well on us to just ignore if we don't know the answer.

I do think replying to old threads with solutions even years later is generally a good thing so other people with similar questions can find the conversation and get started. I think the NES and SNES consoles are going to be around forever and we're only going to get better at keeping them up and running, so this forum should serve as an ever expanding body of knowledge and show how the scene has evolved over the years.

Well, that hambuger does help a lot, but I do want phpbb to add this feature :)
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Heh but seeing a notice for a reply only for it to turn out to be a "sorry I can't help you but..." type of post can feel very disappointing. But not getting any replies at all also feels very lonely. :) Sometimes I do give a reply like that just because I feel a bit bad about the fact that there are no replies.

Now I don't think it's a good idea to go berserk in digging up old topics to make half-baked answers just because you feel bad about them. That will probably only be regarded as little more than spam. Digging up an old topic should be done for a good reason when you have something relevant and carefully thought over to contribute to the discussion.

Yeah I also think the classic video game community will continue to thrive and become more advanced in the future.
Just look at other much more older and more mature hobbies like collecting ceramic, old furniture or classic cars.
This forum is a wealth of information for the NES and will be an important source for the future. For that reason among others I also think we should be careful what we put here or on any other public forum.