Continuous resets on Snes

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
grman13

Continuous resets on Snes

Post by grman13 »

Hello, this is my first post and unfortunately it is to ask for help. I have made and installed the Borti4938 supercic, the last model. It has worked perfectly for a few days until the Snes stopped turning on. I changed the fuse and it went off again. I changed the voltage controller and it turns on without problems, but now it works for a few seconds and resets itself. Which may be due? I leave video so you can see the problem. Apologies for my English from Google translate. Thank you very much in advance

https://youtu.be/GZnRBquxyOU
lidnariq

Re: Continuous resets on Snes

Post by lidnariq »

The voltage regulator is probably getting too hot, because you probably have a short somewhere.

Check if anything else is also getting hot while it boot loops.
grman13

Post by grman13 »

Thank you lidnariq. Any suggestions where to start? I've already been checking temperatures because I assumed it would be something that would get hot, because the first reboot takes minutes, but after that it's constant, and I can't detect excessive heat, at least by hand, I don't have a thermal camera unfortunately :( . The voltage controller is new, I have spare parts, but I don't know where to start
calima

Post by calima »

Some libraries offer thermal cameras for loan, and I hear you can use a digital camera with an IR filter as a cheap make-do version of one.
grman13

Post by grman13 »

Thanks calima, let's see if I can find a way.
At the moment I have tried with another transformer in case the problem came from outside and it is still the same. It took quite a bit longer to restart the first time, but then it was back to the same.
Maybe remove the mod in case this is the one that is causing the error, but it seems strange to me that it works perfectly and restarts that way, could the rectifier cause that? I don't know, I'll try to see if I can recover it
grman13

Post by grman13 »

Ok, mystery solved. It was simply the 7805 defective or of questionable quality. I put one from another damaged Snes and it works without problems, what a joy 😅. Being new the one I had put on it and getting the correct voltage, it was the last thing I tried :lol: