Safe storage temperature

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
jeffythedragonslayer

Safe storage temperature

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

I left my SNES and games in a hot car. Does anyone know the safe storage temperature range?
TmEE

Re: Safe storage temperature

Post by TmEE »

Electronics go to about 125ºC for storage conditions, far beyond what the melting range of the used plastics are. When you're not having melted bits of goop all is gonna work just fine.
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

The capacitors may fail or at least age faster at higher temperatures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor ... omposition
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

One afternoon is unlikely to have any significant effect, but prolonged baking definitely will.
Nikku4211

Post by Nikku4211 »

What is the lower end of that range? What's the safest cold temperature?
I have an ASD, so empathy is not natural for me. If I hurt you, I apologise.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

Most components I see have their storage temperature range set between -55 to +125ºC in the datasheets but there are less and more too. Electrolythic capacitor datasheets I looked at show several ranges for the lower end, from -20 to -55 but all have their upper end capped by the hours at x temperature (+85, +105 etc. at 1000/2000... hours) wether operating or not.
jeffythedragonslayer

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

Everything's fine, though Super Mario RPG didn't work at first; I had to power cycle and then reset, then the game booted. The Retrode also thought that game is an Atari 2600 cartridge. I think it might have just been dirty. :lol:

As for question of what the safe temperature range to store the console is, that's something I was hoping would be mentioned in the manual. If the plastics would melt before that then I'm probably too worried about it. Finding a good answer to that question would be good, but it isn't something worth purposely destroying two consoles over :twisted: