CrossPaint - An art studio for your NES

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

CutterCross

CrossPaint - An art studio for your NES

Post by CutterCross »

Hi, I'm CutterCross. I've been following the NES homebrew scene for a few years but haven't posted anything here until now. Last year or so I made the switch from using NESmaker to developing my own projects from the ground-up with ASM6F. This is my first big NES project that I've been working on.

CrossPaint is a Mario Paint inspired NES art program with SNES mouse support. I've recently released a free demo to try out on itchio as I continue working towards a full release.
https://cuttercross.itch.io/crosspaint

You can use either a standard NES controller or an SNES mouse via a SNES -> NES controller adaptor, and I'm looking to implement Zapper support for some fun novelties in the future. [Sadly not feasible to use as a lightpen :( ]

You can create custom palettes for all 4 background attributes and use them all simultaneously on the canvas [with 16x16 attribute boundaries]. Draw with the pen, fill CHR, paint attributes, and zoom in and edit tiles pixel by pixel. There's also a separate subscreen where you can set the Xscroll and color emphasis parameters for each scanline of the canvas. Eventually I'm planning on including built-in documentation for all these tools, but a README will have to do for now.

I've listed a WIP compatibility chart on the itchio page, as CrossPaint uses techniques like midframe palette changes which won't play nice on most famiclones and certain PPU revision + flashcart combinations. If you can help test the ROM on any of the uncertain combinations, [preferably with video / image evidence,] please let me know the results! I'm also looking for someone to help test a SNES mouse -> Famicom EXP controller setup, as it's not something I've been able to test on my own.

And of course, as it's still a WIP, please let me know of any bugs or issues you find :) Thank you

ImageImageImage
Erockbrox

Re: CrossPaint - An art studio for your NES

Post by Erockbrox »

I played the demo that thought it was really cool! Can't wait to see all the features of the full game!