Isostasy Demo : Sidescrolling MetroidVania

Moderator: Moderators

gravelstudios

Re: Isostasy Demo : Sidescrolling MetroidVania

Post by gravelstudios »

Dacicus wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:58 am I took the entrance from the Tundra. You need some health upgrades in order to survive getting through a section with two sets of floor tiles that cause damage, but I didn't do anything special otherwise.
OK, I see. I didn't think you could get through the damage floor area without the lily pads regardless of how much health you had, I thought the water would slow you down too much, but I was obviously wrong. I'll definitely fix that! Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Edit: You're right, with enough HP, you can just jump right through that room easily. I can't believe I didn't notice that.
gravelstudios

Post by gravelstudios »

I found some more glitches that I needed to fix. Barring any more issues, I think this is the rom that I want to submit for the contest. thank you!
Attachments
IsostasyDemo.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Dacicus

Post by Dacicus »

I found another sequence break, but I don't think it leads to a softlock. There are two areas with psycho blob enemies arranged in a diagonal configuration near small corridors. With proper timing (it helps that there are doors nearby to respawn), it's possible to jump over them from either direction.
gravelstudios

Post by gravelstudios »

Dacicus wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:29 pm I found another sequence break, but I don't think it leads to a softlock. There are two areas with psycho blob enemies arranged in a diagonal configuration near small corridors. With proper timing (it helps that there are doors nearby to respawn), it's possible to jump over them from either direction.
thanks for pointing this out to me. I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a list of bug fixes (of varying severity) that is growing. I need to release a new version with everything fixed. that will definitely be something I fix. There is also a glitch that affects the end credits after new-game+ and there is a glitch that causes the fade in after going through a door to flicker in a weird way. neither are game breaking, but they need to be addressed. there are also some glitches in enemy behavior that I'll probably leave alone because I think they're funny.

Edit: Dacicus, the timing on those jumps is incredibly tight. I almost feel like anybody who practices enough to do that deserves the sequence break. the intended way to get through there is with the Grinder weapon, which is capable of shooting all 3 psycho blobs at the same time. if somebody gets that jump consistently enough to use it in a speedrun or something, I sort of feel like they've earned the right to not have to backtrack.
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Glad to see this is going to be in the compo! We spoke briefly on reddit (I was asking about the monogame wrapper you're working on). I haven't had a chance to try out the demo yet, but it looks fantastic!
gravelstudios

Post by gravelstudios »

Goose2k wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:29 pm Glad to see this is going to be in the compo! We spoke briefly on reddit (I was asking about the monogame wrapper you're working on). I haven't had a chance to try out the demo yet, but it looks fantastic!
Thanks, I appreciate it!

The game is now available on Steam, in case you're interested:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2095960/Isostasy/
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Hi gravelstudios, I don't see the game on the nesdev compo page of itch anymore (I'm pretty sure it was there before). I just wanted to give you a heads up as the compo ends after this weekend, and this game looked so promising!
gravelstudios

Post by gravelstudios »

Oh crud, I missed it. is it too late? I didn't even realize there was an page for it on Itch.
gravelstudios

Post by gravelstudios »

it won't let me reply to your PM. it says you've disabled PM reciept. I sent you a message on your twitter.