Wrong post count for user

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Wrong post count for user

Post by Dwedit »

I just noticed the thread: viewtopic.php?p=281096#p281096

User has three posts there, yet their post count is 2.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Fiskbit

Re: Wrong post count for user

Post by Fiskbit »

This is a very annoying issue we've been hitting since getting the forums back online. brizzo's looked into it and has no idea what's causing it, and it has a negative effect on new users in that they need additional posts to exceed the threshold at which their posts no longer have to be approved. In part because of this, I often manually remove users from the new users group if they seem good, but that's surprisingly cumbersome to do (it can't be done through the standard moderation interface). I don't know if post counts are missing posts for all users or just new users; it may be caused by the post approval feature somehow.

I think the issue fixes itself if we tell phpBB to perform a sync, but that's very slow and I'd guess it affects forum performance while it's going on, so I try to only do it when there's some more disruptive issue like the forum claiming a thread has posts awaiting approval when it doesn't actually. PhpBB has a lot of annoying little problems. We've talked about migrating to xenforo, but there aren't concrete plans for that yet.
calima

Post by calima »

Please no xenforo. Besides not working without JS or in older browsers, it has so many animated blinkies that it uses a huge amount of cpu.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Xenforo works fine with lynx and w3m? And removing the animated CSS is trivial.
calima

Post by calima »

The two such forums I've visited work very poorly. Maybe that's just its default state.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

I'm no fan of xenforo either, every forum I visit that has "upgraded" to it has come with many negatives on even the most basic functionality. Much more clunky, with a big RAM footprint and seem to be really CPU heavy making it really sluggish. I can feel the laptop get hot when it is open and other tasks starting to suffer, and it is an i5 not some ancient thing...
Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 »

Xenforo sucks a$$, Stick with something else please!!!

That is all I have to say about Xenforo here.
AKA SmilyMZX/AtariHacker.