Project Nested - NES emulator for SNES

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

marcosmoutta

Re: Project Nested - NES emulator for SNES

Post by marcosmoutta »

Castlevania (J version aka Akumajou Dorakyura) can be beat without any issues :arrow: https://youtu.be/vIY7zGNvhkU

By the way Mr Myself86, if there's any game you'd like me to play, feel free to ask!
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

There seems to be at least one issue in that video. The screen split for the status bar doesn't work and it scrolls with the background.
Myself086

Post by Myself086 »

I made a video explaining how I made this emulator.

https://youtu.be/z33soUZgCXg

This video is also the beginning of a new project...
ricardogtg

Post by ricardogtg »

Hi!!

I'm trying the nes game Layla without any lucky, somebody got it running?
. Thanks
Myself086

Post by Myself086 »

ricardogtg wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:58 am Hi!!

I'm trying the nes game Layla without any lucky, somebody got it running?
. Thanks
Seems to work fine after disabling "Stack emulation - Native return address".
Added to the spreadsheet.
ricardogtg

Post by ricardogtg »

Wow!! I'll try it!! Thanks!
ricardogtg

Post by ricardogtg »

Worked perfectly!! Thanks!
Myself086

Post by Myself086 »

Update is out!

https://github.com/Myself086/Project-Ne ... s/tag/v1.5

For v1.5, I decided to focus on optimizing the emulator but the results aren't great. This is something I had been looking forward to do and was a great experience. There's an aspect of it that is broken and not accessible in this version. The performance gain isn't great but noticeable in some games.

There are a number of bug fixes, especially for games freezing. But improving compatibility wasn't the focus for this update.

I need to take a break from this project and will be updating it casually from now. I don't know if I should remove my Patreon.

I will be focusing on my Youtube channel for another very ambitious project.

Link to my discord: https://discord.gg/dJRTc3yEEt
Myself086

Post by Myself086 »

Update is out!

https://github.com/Myself086/Project-Ne ... s/tag/v1.6

I finished some code that was meant to be in v1.5 including AOT inline which was only 2 lines of code away from being completed but I just couldn't find why it wasn't working at the time.

I mostly focused on fixing easy bugs and optimizing in some easy spots. I ended up spending way more time per day than I expected but I think it's the discussions happening in my discord that kept me going.

Castlevania now runs at full speed which I'm very happy about.

I don't expect any major compatibility improvement.
marsilies

Post by marsilies »

I was falling down a rabbit hole about FC2SMC by KAMI and the 90s hacks that ported a few NES games to SNES, and I found this interesting quote from 2012:

[mod edit: fixed to link to the live copy instead of the mirror]
Near wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:10 pm It may be possible to do some absolutely insane "dynamically generated" 65816 code that utilizes the similarities between the NES and SNES PPUs to pull off an NES emulator with the native SNES output path, but ... good luck. Entirely not worth the effort.
So congrats to Myself086 for achieving something byuu/Near once thought of as "absolutely insane."
Myself086

Post by Myself086 »

marsilies wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:31 pm I was falling down a rabbit hole about FC2SMC by KAMI and the 90s hacks that ported a few NES games to SNES, and I found this interesting quote from 2012:

[mod edit: fixed to link to the live copy instead of the mirror]
Near wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:10 pm It may be possible to do some absolutely insane "dynamically generated" 65816 code that utilizes the similarities between the NES and SNES PPUs to pull off an NES emulator with the native SNES output path, but ... good luck. Entirely not worth the effort.
So congrats to Myself086 for achieving something byuu/Near once thought of as "absolutely insane."
I remember reading some of these quotes just before releasing v1.0.

I have a new insane project hopefully starting in March, unrelated to gaming.
johannesmutlu

Post by johannesmutlu »

I am so excited to finally see nes games running on a stock snes because i already knew since 2005 that it was in theory possible,why? Because once i readed about the cancled superdeck to run nes games on a snes by using hardware tricks & emulation, i knew that such thing would be possible on the snes,also since the cpu & ppu are a similar type to that of the nes except being waaay more powerful off course,
The only real difference is in the audio department,so psg sounds from the nes has to be simulated with digitized recordings of it,also the snes cannot stream full resolution graphics at 60fps straight from the cart,only trough it’s own ram so everything has to be loaded first into it’s own ram,altrough the snes can stream graphics at 200x160 resolution at 30fps in 8bit color depth straight from the cart but that’s it,
Also the snes does not support 8x16 sprites so 2 x 8x8 sprite are used to fake 8x16 sprites,also the snes does not accept 4k,8K or 16k bankswitching so instead those banks are copied multiple times rather then adding extra zeros to round it up as a 32K banks,sadly dpcm is also not supported but in can be in theory possible,
Also i don’t think that such fysical addon could be done without compremises,simple nes games might work on it in realtime but not enhanced games since those chips inside those nes cartrides needs to stream chr data at 60fps to the snes (depending per game),UNLESS those enhanced games get ripped from the cart sothat a database could determine wich mapper it uses along with the right settings and how to regroup chr stuff into it’s own ram while another database is needed to link those beforehand or by the user generated srm files with that specefic game to run smoothly,unknown games should tell the database wich mapper it uses and let the user generate an srm file during gameplay to run smoother the next time he play’s the game,these are forward thinking potential stuff wich i believe it can be done in the future by somebody else but for now we have to deal with the roms and that yet not all games will work,punch out will never work unless we use another bg layer to emulate sprites,with the SEEMINGLY official ending as off nested 1.7 it’s up to the community to make more games compatible with the rights settings,patches and doing our own nested upgrades to add more mapper support and maybe some day we will see a physical unit of it for the snes,a multi nes rom cart for the snes,famiclones based on snes hardware with nested baked in,an nes classic clone based on snes hardware with again nested baked in but also with builtin nes roms and lastly a 2 in 1 nes & snes system for wich the nesvpart is emulated on the snes trough baked in nested,if such thing will ever happen that would be AWESOME then i will definitely buy those stuff but only time will tell.
Last edited by johannesmutlu on Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myself086

Post by Myself086 »

v1.8 is out!

Not a big leap in compatibility and mostly focusing on requested games including the oldest request that I knew of since before releasing v1.0 which is for a game called Gimmick requested in the upernes thread back in 2015.

Changes:
- Fixed left column flicker
- Properly fixed echo buffer write disabled (thanks to ikari_01)
- Fixed "Reload Both ROMs"
- Fixed interrupt flag when linking indirect jump or non-native return
- Added initializer for mappers
- Selecting "< No profile >" or creating new profile no longer reset settings
- Added limited DMC support (req. static range c000 & e000 whenever possible)
- Fixed an issue with writing to $4015 via direct indexed addressing mode
- Added mapper 69
- Added self-modifying code to the emulator core based on settings during conversion
- Added showing submapper number on the exe
- Fixed bank change when emulating LDA (zp,X)
- Fixed how CRC32 is calculated
- Added new COP instructions for patching
- Added "ROL A" and "ROR A" to the interpreter
- Added mapper 1 sub-mapper SUROM
- Added setting to reserve SNES banks for enhancement ROM hacks
johannesmutlu

Post by johannesmutlu »

Hi,i am very impressed with the update nested 1,8 with the long awaited ability to play dmc samples from supported nes games albeit yet limited,it’s a huge leap,BUT i do got a few questions,
1,why are nested 1,7 and 1,8 in mono??? Nested 1.5 and beyond were all in stereo,
Am i missing something? Is there no option were i can determine whether i want my nes games to by either mono or stereo??
Unless the snes cannot do stereo with dmc and emulated psg sound all atonce,but otherwise i would expect stereo sound,
2,will you ever add light gun support for supported nes games before you would decide to move over to another project???
I ask this because you mentioned since nested 1.7 at that you would moved over to another project,but you did surprisingly and unexpectedly came up with nested 1.8 & 1.8.1
So i tout if you could add light gun support whether it’s trough the super scope or justifier or both,eventrough those supported games will need to be patched to accept 1 frame latency to make them work wich on paper shouldn’t be hard to implement righr,hopefully it’s one of the last things you will implement in nested,because it would be really cool,
Again thanks alot for making my wet dream come true to see nes games running on the snes😁🙏👍
tepples

Post by tepples »

The NES is not stereo. There's no standard way for a game to communicate the expected panning of a sound effect to the emulator.

I foresee a few practical problems with adding light gun support, and I'm interested in how they might be solved:
  1. Obtaining a light gun to test with. Currently eBay lists a single Justifier at $60, dual Justifiers at $200, and Super Scope at $140.
  2. Obtaining a vintage CRT SDTV to test with, as light guns are not compatible with currently manufactured TVs. Buying used is more difficult because CRT TVs are so heavy to ship. Nor can TV repair shops usually get the parts to repair or refurbish CRT TVs anymore, as I found out the hard way when I called such a shop.
  3. Is compatibility only with target-selection games (such as Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley) acceptable, or are we also looking for compatibility with vertical positioning games (such as Operation Wolf and Zap Ruder)?
  4. Is a blue-greenish cast over the screen acceptable? As I understand it, the SNES guns expect the pixel under the barrel when the trigger is pulled to have some blue or green content, as red phosphors were found too slow to base timing on.