Help to find art to make a label

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Fisher

Help to find art to make a label

Post by Fisher »

Hi.
A friend of mine asked if I could help him to make a label to restore an old pirate cartridge.
Since Google Images didn't help much, before trying to manually restore it I'm asking if someone knows this art and can point me to a better resolution one.
Label.png
Thanks in advance.
rox_midge

Re: Help to find art to make a label

Post by rox_midge »

OMFG

I saw this a few days ago, and I was bored enough to pore through Google / TinEye / Bing images to see if I could find it. I was in the middle of drafting a reply that basically said that it was pointless to try to find the original, because even if you found it, you'd have put more effort into it than the original pirate did.

BUT I FOUND IT!

Well, part of it, anyway.

The ship in the foreground seems to be a trace of this artwork by Patrick Woodroffe, which was featured in Science Fiction Monthly 1976: https://twitter.com/retroscifiart/statu ... 0228777984

The escape pods might be original art, along with the planet / galaxy in the background.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

WOW!
That's amazing!!
Thank you. :D
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

This is what Real-ESRGAN thinks the high-resolution label should be. Looks like it did a pretty good job.

314KB JPEG, 976x1600. Click to enlarge.
label-kage.jpg
Edit: Accidentally upscaled the thumbnail by mistake, but that ended up looking better than upscaling the full-resolution image.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
rox_midge

Post by rox_midge »

A little more history of this artwork:

This was the artwork for the original publication run of The Forever War by American author Joe Haldeman, published in 1974:
the-forever-war1.jpg
The artwork for the cover was featured in the January 1976 issue of Science Fiction Monthly on page 16, where it was credited to Patrick Woodroffe:
science-fiction-monthly.jpg
I might see if I can't recolor it a bit to match what's shown on the cartridge!

Edited to add: After messing about with this, I've finally remembered that I am not, in fact, an artist, and there's no way that I'm going to be able to make this look good.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

That's great!
I didn't know about Real-ESRGAN, it's amazing!!
I'm not an artist too, but I try some "workarounds",
In fact, my friend does a lot more "artistical" stuff than I'm capable of, but it's really nice to exchange ideas. :-)