Does one colour ALWAYS have to be transparent?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
dougeff

Re: Does one colour ALWAYS have to be transparent?

Post by dougeff »

(Re: requirements to post in SNESdev)

Nah. That's "gatekeeping" and SNESdev is already such a small community that I wouldn't put up any barriers.

Things I want to talk about on SNESdev
-SNESdev
-Other retro consoles and how they relate to SNESdev

Things I don't want to talk about on SNESdev
-personal grievances
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
jeffythedragonslayer

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

I agree with Doug.
ehaliewicz

Post by ehaliewicz »

I never said it was a good idea :) But it is annoying to see a forum flooded with such trivial questions, and honestly, it's a bit insulting when people constantly ask other people questions rather than even try to figure things out themselves. It implies that your time is worth less than theirs.

It also explains why he always says he isn't "made for snes programming", because it takes a lot of hard work and determination to figure things out, a lot of it on your own, not simple answers from other people.

Sorry for ranting, but sometimes I get very annoyed by that kind of person.
dougeff wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:45 pm (Re: requirements to post in SNESdev)

Nah. That's "gatekeeping" and SNESdev is already such a small community that I wouldn't put up any barriers.

Things I want to talk about on SNESdev
-SNESdev
-Other retro consoles and how they relate to SNESdev

Things I don't want to talk about on SNESdev
-personal grievances
TrekkiesUnite118

Post by TrekkiesUnite118 »

I think the main issue with it is a lot of the forum is cluttered with threads that effectively boil down to "I got into an argument with a Genesis fan on youtube, write my rebuttal for me SNES devs!" It kind of gives a bad impression to new people looking to get started in SNES development, or just other people curious about what's going on in the SNES homebrew scene. As it looks like there's more focus on disgruntlement from a 30+ year old console war instead of actually doing any homebrew development.

To give a comparison, here's the Saturn Development forum:
https://segaxtreme.net/forums/saturn-dev.34/

From that page you can see there's threads about current translation projects, ROM hacks, homebrew projects, tutorials for how to do different things on the system, how to set up your environment, competitions, resources, links to the developer discord, etc. There's plenty of info there for people to get an idea about what's going on in the community, what people are working on, how to get started, etc.

By comparison looking here with all the clutter, as a possible newcomer I don't see anything about how to get started, what projects are being worked on, etc. Useful and interesting threads like kulor's Mode 7 thread are quickly buried. It's not really a good look.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

These recent threads contains both good and bad information. Beginner questions are good for beginners, and it's not so easy for a beginner to just look these things up on Superfamicom.org, fullsnes or the official devdocs because those are usually written for very technical people (although the Snesdev wiki and many recent tutorials will hopefully change this soon), it's just such a shame that there are so much console war clutter in these threads. When I read through them I just skip any post that seems to be about comparing the SFC and Megadrive, or it would take all day to get through them.

The Snesdev forum didn't really have a lot of beginner-friendly tutorials and stuff like that until very recently. Most of the older discussions are very technical and case-specific.