The Quest for the Perfect Palette Generator

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Drag

Re: The Quest for the Perfect Palette Generator

Post by Drag »

Go for it. :D

I'll need to get back to you on the emphasis bits, because I haven't fully explored that yet.
nintendo8

Post by nintendo8 »

Alright I will also be working on this on the weekend hopefully.
Edit: The code for this already existed I merged two palette generators the code to generator the Y,I,Q values is now from viewtopic.php?t=8209
and I use your code to convert the Y,I,Q values to rgb. Here is the code https://github.com/ComputerNerd/Retro-G ... nespal.cpp
markanini

Post by markanini »

Sorry for the resurrection. I just want to add my two cents. I think the palette becomes more balanced once you specify a 9300k white point per NTSC-J spec:
I say this despire not being a fan of non-D65 white points. There's no denying that the palette was designed around 9300k and might as well be simulated for NES content IMO. Additionally my eyes agree with @lidnariq on a brigtness setting -0.075. Especially since it ends up with a suitable brightness when used with a scan line effect. My IPS display is calibrated to sRGB, gamma 2.3, 120cd/m2.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Hey all, I'm dropping in because my palette generator is now on GitHub.

I'll keep the version on my website current, but now there's a GitHub project page. As part of publishing it, I've cleaned up the source code, removed some redundant code, fixed variable names, and attempted to DRY some of the WET stuff (which there was lots of). Overall, I really hope this makes things easier for everyone who was interested in using or incorporating palgen. :D

Alright! Going to add a link to the project page to the first post of this thread.
Drag

Post by Drag »

I've finally added the luminance hue-shift effect that the 2C02E and G have, and with it, I've updated the default palette the generator starts off with, so now the default palette finally is the actual exact palette I use in all of my development.

Based on what the palette looks like, and what my TV shows me on my physical NES, I'm pretty sure I have a 2C02G, though my TV might be fooling me. :P

I've also added a setting to hue-shift columns 2, 6, and A, I don't know if the rev.G PPU does it, but it's documented for the rev.E, so there it is.

This entire time, I've assumed the PPU will generate similar colors regardless of revision, but if it turns out that the different revisions (e.g., A, E, and G) generate noticeably different palettes, I'll add some presets for each revision. I only have one NES, so this'll depend on others chiming in. :P

Edit: I've also collapsed the "range" section of the tweaks, because those really aren't variables and don't need to be adjusted, but I'm afraid of who might've been depending on them so I didn't remove them entirely. :P
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Will you let us know when the copy on wootest.net is updated with the new toggles? (or if you have a different preferred host)
Drag

Post by Drag »

lidnariq wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:03 pm Will you let us know when the copy on wootest.net is updated with the new toggles? (or if you have a different preferred host)
In general, whenever I make an update post in here, I'll already have updated the live copy on wootest, so you may need to do a shift-refresh if you're still seeing the old version. I'll keep that version up-to-date as long as I have access to that domain, but if anything ever happens, the source code will always be available at my GitHub.