Any of your homebrew SNES games/gameplay demos I can try?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
iNCEPTIONAL

Any of your homebrew SNES games/gameplay demos I can try?

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

Do you guys have some examples of the SNES games/gameplay demos you've made that I can check out, beyond the handful in the SNESdev Homebrew Projects thread?

I notice there's only 23 threads in the SNESdev Homebrew Projects total in presumably the entire history of that forum, and I've already checked out most of the demos in there, but I expect there's more than those game in the works.

Just want to see what cool SNES stuff there is so far, including SNES stuff that's work in progress to look forward to. Even ports of already existing SNES games would be welcome. Happy to check those out too.

Edit: I've only got the mock-up stuff for my Mode 0 shmup, which you've already seen many times, so there's not much point in posting that here again. I'd post some of my other games for you to try, but they're not actually for SNES (and certainly can't be played on real SNES hardware), so I don't think you'll care about those, right?
Last edited by iNCEPTIONAL on Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
creaothceann

Re: Any of your homebrew SNES games I can try?

Post by creaothceann »

Did you check RHDN?
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
iNCEPTIONAL

Re: Any of your homebrew SNES games I can try?

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

creaothceann wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:07 pm Did you check RHDN?
Is this stuff you guys are working on for SNES or just a whole bunch of random homebrew games and ROM hacks in general (it doesn't look to be for SNES only, as it has a GBA game right at the top and a PSX game further down the list)?

I was meaning stuff the SNESdev community members are working on for SNES specifically, to see some of your cool games/demos/hacks for SNES.

Apologies if that wasn't clear.

Was kinda hoping people would be like "Yeah, check out this cool game/gameplay demo I'm working on for SNES" and "Here's a cool ROM hack I made for X SNES game", and that kind of thing, so I can see what cool stuff the SNESdev community is making. You get the idea.

Edit: If you've got some other cool non-SNES games/gameplay demos you made though, I guess I could still check those out too. Would be interesting to see what game stuff you're working on outside of SNESdev.

PS. But, yeah, I've checked out a bunch of the cool ROM hacks for SNES on RHDN. :)
dougeff

Re: Any of your homebrew SNES games/gameplay demos I can try?

Post by dougeff »

https://snescentral.com/homebrew.php

Does anyone have links to the old demo scene ROMs?

by Anthrox and some other guys
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

dougeff wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:54 pm https://snescentral.com/homebrew.php

Does anyone have links to the old demo scene ROMs?

Thanks for that. I've checked most/all of those in the link before though, especially the stuff that's been on there for years. I've been looking at rom hacks, indie projects and just stuff on YouTube for a couple of years straight at this point, so I've covered most of the stuff that's already out there now, methinks, and def seen almost all of the footage of any SNES tech demos from the demo scene. Was actually hoping for some new stuff too, particularly from you guys in SNESdev community, maybe stuff from the last year or two, or even from this year or that's in the works. I'm really hoping there's some exciting stuff on the horizon. I know one guy said they were porting one game to SNES from Saturn or something, I think, can't quite remember. Wonder if that's still in progress? That could be interesting to see, although I think they're keeping it secret for now.
jeffythedragonslayer

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

It's not a game, but I'm working on a compiler with dra600n targeting the snes.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

This list is pretty good. I'd also add to it Nekotako, which has a free demo: Nekotako Demo
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

rainwarrior wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:27 pm
This list is pretty good. I'd also add to it Nekotako, which has a free demo: Nekotako Demo
Yeah, I've seen that. It's one of the more polished homebrew SNES titles I've seen for sure. And the fish window/shape mask effect and the end of the levels is rather cool.

Hopefully these guys have made some decent money, and enough to warrant make more new games for the SNES.
Last edited by iNCEPTIONAL on Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

jeffythedragonslayer wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:16 pm It's not a game, but I'm working on a compiler with dra600n targeting the snes.
Cool. Dunno if something like this already exists or whatever, as I don't really code for the SNES, so never have to do any builds myself, but hopefully that's going to help the dev community then.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

I also saw recently that Vitor Vilela was talking about creating an actual SNES SDK in some form or another, which would be pretty dang awesome if that actually happens.
calima

Post by calima »

Little Medusa from Mega Cat has a free demo.

The snescentral list seems to be missing d4s's N-Warp Daisakusen.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

There's also Alisha's adventure, which isn't on that list.

Is that list supposed to be comprehensive with all the known SNES homebrew games I'd development, or just some specific examples made for game jams or something?
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

dougeff wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:54 pm Does anyone have links to the old demo scene ROMs?

https://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?orde ... &reverse=1
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Augustus Blackheart

Post by Augustus Blackheart »

Here's sources for some Censor/Elitendo/Atx/Taurus stuff converted to CA65/SNESKit, along with some other things. I've changed some bits of code. I fixed the scrollers in Paradox & Flex and adjusted Taurus Scroll so it runs correctly on hardware.

I still need to fix Taurus Wobble so it runs on hardware and to fix the code for BANK_ZERO which I don't use so I didn't notice it was broken. I also need to update SNESGrit (it doesn't support mode 5 or 7, plus it's based on an older version of grit) or consider a different image conversion program.

I should dig though the other sources in various stages of conversion.