Dual D-Pad Controls (and a minor rant)

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: Dual D-Pad Controls (and a minor rant)

Post by lidnariq »

gauauu wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:52 am This method doesn't scale up to 8 controllers though does it? (or maybe it does and I don't have my brain wrapped around it)
Correct, which is why I suggested using SNES controllers.
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

rainwarrior wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:57 pm You could potentially use a SNES multitap connected to an NES with an adapter, as long as the adapter wires both D0 and D1, and not just D0.

Otherwise you might make your own adapter to connect 2 SNES controllers into 1 NES port via D0 and D1. The original Famicom could almost do this, if it didn't have two controllers hardwired to D0 already.
Wait, so would Raphnet's adapter work? https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/s ... /index.php

I'm inclined to go this route as it's probably cost effective/convenient enough rather than including actual modified gamepads if I decide to do a bundle. Does connecting a multitap into one NES socket matter which NES socket is used? I like the idea of either 2 SNES gamepads to each NES controller port or one SNES 4-player adapter connected to both NES controller ports.
gauauu wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:27 am
Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:44 pm 4x2 d-pads = 8 d-pads or 4 d-pads & 4x4 face buttons.
It's been a dream of mine to build an 8-controller multitap (using the same principles as the 4-controller multi-tap). Let's make it happen.
Oops. :shock: That's not what I meant. I was counting the potential D-pads on each controller (2 per gamepad), but sure, why not?
calima wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:49 amFour SNES controllers using a cable adapter like rainwarrior described might be easiest. Two SNES controllers going into one NES port. But I recall you also want to support Famicoms, those are going to need something different.
I have a bunch of questions, but I don't even know where to start. :oops: Here's one: can the game be programmed to work with both NES and Famicom using the controller ports of the NES and the expansion port of the Famicom (with custom SNES multitaps of course)?
rainwarrior wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:57 pmI have no idea how rare VB controllers are. I do suspect that very few people would have 4 of them. Though, because the VB reports its right d-pad in the same place as SNES ABXY maybe you could support them both with the same code. (VB just has two extra buttons A/B next to the right d-pad.)
This is awesome! :o So by default they would be supported.

I do have a fantasy idea of taking a SNES gamepad and replacing the face buttons with another d-pad. This could also work for Super Smash TV! (I think)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:06 amWait, so would Raphnet's adapter work? https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/s ... /index.php

I'm inclined to go this route as it's probably cost effective/convenient enough rather than including actual modified gamepads if I decide to do a bundle. Does connecting a multitap into one NES socket matter which NES socket is used? I like the idea of either 2 SNES gamepads to each NES controller port or one SNES 4-player adapter connected to both NES controller ports.
We talked about this more in the posts that followed but:

1. The Raphnet adapter most likely only connects D0 so it wouldn't work.

D1 from the SNES would have to connect to D3 or D4 on the NES, so it probably wouldn't make sense for any common adapter to connect them this way... but this leads to another problem:

2. The SNES multitap would only be able to report 2 controllers at most, not all 4. One through D0, and the other through D1 (rewired to D3 or D4).

Unfortunately the other 2 controllers require an I/O signal from the console which the NES just doesn't have. The only way to accomodate all 4 would be to build some custom adapter specifically for the multitap which generates the needed I/O signal (and also connects D1 to NES D3 or D4).

So, to read more than one controller from a SNES multitap on an NES would require a custom adapter, sadly. Check lidnariq's suggestion on the previous page for a more practical simple adapter you could build, which wouldn't require a separate multitap.
calima

Post by calima »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:06 am I have a bunch of questions, but I don't even know where to start. :oops: Here's one: can the game be programmed to work with both NES and Famicom using the controller ports of the NES and the expansion port of the Famicom (with custom SNES multitaps of course)?
Yes. It's just more hw to design and ship, and more combinations to test.
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

rainwarrior wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:19 amWe talked about this more in the posts that followed but:
Oh. Is that what all that jargon meant? I'll read it slowly and see if I can understand.
rainwarrior wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:19 am So, to read more than one controller from a SNES multitap on an NES would require a custom adapter, sadly. Check lidnariq's suggestion on the previous page for a more practical simple adapter you could build, which wouldn't require a separate multitap.
Will do!