That Euro/UK aesthetic

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: That Euro/UK aesthetic

Post by rainwarrior »

From my perspective, turboxray was sharing relevant information intended to be helpful. I had the exact same though about this, that it would probably be worthwhile not using the entire screen for the image, but they said it first.

Pointing out the compromises needed to accomplish the goal you asked about is not hostility, at least not without making a large assumption of bad faith, and it's a mistake to respond to it like it is.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

rainwarrior wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:00 pm From my perspective, turboxray was sharing relevant information intended to be helpful. I had the exact same though about this, that it would probably be worthwhile not using the entire screen for the image, but they said it first.

Pointing out the compromises needed to accomplish the goal you asked about is not hostility, at least not without making a large assumption of bad faith, and it's a mistake to respond to it like it is.
From my perspective, reading a sequence of posts repeating the same point of proactively implementing a very obvious visual/aesthetic compromise on an idea clearly built around its visual/aesthetic impact, multiple of which were made after I already made the effort to clarify the type of game idea I was thinking about here and linking to a post/thread detailing why such a compromise is not actually needed to do what I'm proposing, is not as conducive as it might initially appear to be.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

This is so bizarre... now you're praising SimCity 2000 for doing the exact thing that turboxray was suggestion might be a helpful compromise?

Edit: okay you even deleted it while I was replying...

I'll say it again, though, I would have made the same suggestion. It was said because it's probably a good idea in the exact situation you're asking about.

If you like what SimCity 2000 is doing there's no shame in having brought it up. It's a good example! Worth commenting on.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

rainwarrior wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:09 am This is so bizarre... now you're praising SimCity 2000 for doing the exact thing that turboxray was suggestion might be a helpful compromise?

Edit: okay you even deleted it while I was replying...

I'll say it again, though, I would have made the same suggestion. It was said because it's probably a good idea in the exact situation you're asking about.

If you like what SimCity 2000 is doing there's no shame in having brought it up. It's a good example! Worth commenting on.
I definitely like the idea that SimCity 2000 is using 8bpp. It's always good to have more examples of any of the SNES' BG modes being used imo. I do not want to unnecessarily crop the visuals in my game idea though. This is why, after noticing the 8-pixel bar in SimCity 2000, I tweaked my post slightly to explain why my game doesn't need to do the exact same thing as SimCity 2000 and should have more than enough room to not have to--and that game had 8 pixels of cropping, which is small enough that I literally didn't even notice it initially, not 32 as suggested for my game idea--then I just deleted it because the point was moot, and keeping it there with that example would just give people reasons to bring up and debate stuff I never said my game needed to do, right. So, as before, my main idea here is to stick with the 8bpp full-screen art in my particular example if there's literally no reason not to. If someone has made a game or demo with 8bpp full-screen images that do little more than maybe put some text on top and switch to new images on command, and they figured out it was impossible to do this without the cropping, then sure. It's not like my aim is to make an impossible game, so, if 8bpp full-screen in my idea was actually impossible, I'd modify my idea accordingly. But I'm not hearing that, and the numbers don't support it either, rather some suggestions to fix problems that don't actually exist in my actual proposed idea yet. So, as I said, I don't think that particular cropping solution is conducive.
Last edited by iNCEPTIONAL on Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:23 am, edited 9 times in total.
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

@inceptional
Okay what now???

I don't follow your every post, definitely not going to read tons of pages to try an interpret what you might be anticipating, and I surely can't read your mind. Saying things are very apparent/whatever/clear, doesn't make it a true statement.

I have no idea about the details you're thinking about for whatever game - I can't read your mind. I just got the impression of the game, because of the related artwork discussion and mentioned graphic adventure. I'm simply offering some technical information related to design limitations. You need to stop taking everything you don't like as an attack. I'm a detailed oriented person. I like to know exact limitations because that affects limitations in design. And I like to know what options are available and what are the trade-offs. You posting a link to someone else that doesn't actually didn't give you every detail/full picture - tells me you fully don't understand; you're just trusting some post while I'm give you much more details to you can think about things in more detail. You have a history of not fully understanding specs/limitations. No one, including myself, is forcing you to do anything. And for the record, I have direct experience with graphic and point 'n click PC adventure style games on 16bit consoles (design wise) - which is why I was chiming in. And yes, it's an interesting topic because PC was full of them but consoles not so much. This is a topic I'm very much interested in.

If you honestly think me posting more details so you have more information to work with, as an attack on you or whatever, then simply do a "nod to the opposition" and move on. You have a communication problem - what you think is clear.. is in fact not clear to other people. And your defensiveness for whatever reason.. is not my problem - that's for you to work on. Stop trying to "read between the lines".
Last edited by turboxray on Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

turboxray wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:07 am @inceptional
Okay what now???

I don't follow your every post, definitely not going to read tons of pages to try an interpret what you might be anticipating, and I surely can't read your mind. Saying things are very apparent/whatever/clear, doesn't make it a true statement.

I have no idea about the details you're thinking about for whatever game - I can't read your mind. I just got the impression of the game, because of the related artwork discussion and mentioned graphic adventure. I'm simply offering some technical information related to design limitations. You need to stop taking everything you don't like as an attack. I'm a detailed oriented person. I like to know exact limitations because that affects limitations in design. And I like to know what options are available and what are the trade-offs. You posting a link to someone else that doesn't actually didn't give you every detail/full picture - tells me you fully don't understand; you're just trusting some post while I'm give you much more details to you can think about things in more detail. You have a history of not fully understanding specs/limitations. No one, including myself, is forcing you to do anything. And for the record, I have direct experience with graphic and point 'n click PC adventure style games on 16bit consoles (design wise) - which is why I was chiming in. And yes, it's an interesting topic because PC was full of them but consoles not so much.

If you honestly think me posting more details so you have more information to work with, as an attack on you or whatever, then simply do a "nod to the opposition" and move on. You have a communication problem - what you think is clear.. is in fact not clear to other people. And your defensiveness for whatever reason.. is not my problem - that's for you to work on. Stop trying to "read between the lines".
If you like to know details, which I also think are very important, and it's my idea your responding to, but you don't want to read all the posts that might cover and explain some of the things I'm thinking about a bit more to get a clearer idea of what I'm proposing, you're always welcome to ask me.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:56 amand that game had 8 pixels of cropping, which is small enough that I literally didn't even notice it initially, not 32 as suggested for my game idea
SimCity 2000 has 72 lines removed. Its mode 3 area only spans 152 lines.
iNCEPTIONAL

Post by iNCEPTIONAL »

rainwarrior wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:29 am
iNCEPTIONAL wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:56 amand that game had 8 pixels of cropping, which is small enough that I literally didn't even notice it initially, not 32 as suggested for my game idea
SimCity 2000 has 72 lines removed. Its mode 3 area only spans 152 lines.
Forget the SimCity 2000 example. I wasn't taking into account the second layer used for the HUD. I was only talking about that little black bar at the top of screen, which may or may not be forced blanking. It's not really what I was talking about for my idea, and I knew the kind of conversation it would lead to the minute after I posted it, hence why I deleted it basically immediately. My idea, as initially proposed, was for a full-screen 8bpp image with some palette cycling and then a bunch of those screens through the game (with some suggestions to do more if possible). Let's get back to that.
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

Please keep this thread on the topic of the Euro/UK aesthetic.