CSM04048N Speech chip

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

MLX

CSM04048N Speech chip

Post by MLX »

Not a particularly interesting topic but I figured I would post what was gathered so far somewhere.
In past october, three educational cartridges for a Sunsonic famiclone were dumped. One of them had a large "Human Voice" on the cover. To everyone's surprise, it did not lie. Another nearly identical cartridge also featured the same synthesizer chip in a different package.
The included games are nothing special beside being in Siamese. Headerless ROMs overall CRC32: 0x433c99c3, 0xbe7bfba2.

The chip part number is CSM04048N. I could not find any datasheet while it does seem readily available on secondhand sites (e.g.), yet never with any actual photo of the IC.

Photos of the oldest PCB are provided below. The other, newer cartridge, had a COB rather. I do not own this variant anymore however.
I'll gladly send the cartridge to whoever wants to analyze it, or better, decap the chip to photograph the die (on the hypothesis that it is not available from resellers).
Attachments
image0-1.jpg
image0.jpg
krzysiobal

Re: CSM04048N Speech chip

Post by krzysiobal »

Looks like one of the companies in my country has this chip as well as similar ones (CSM04049N, CSM04054N). I asked them for availability & price, so maybe eventual tests/decapping could be done without destroying the original cartridge, just first need to figure out the pinout.
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

I tried to trace the board - schematics (that might need corrections):

Code: Select all

$5000-$5fff: communication (read/write) with audoi chip

$6000-$7fff: RAM

$8000-$ffff (no bus conflicts):
[M...PPPP]
 |   ||||
 |   ++++- 32kB PRG bank at $8000-$ffff
 +-------- goes to mising PAL (mirroring control?)

.---v---.
CPU D3 <> |01   16| <> CPU D7
CPU D2 <> |02   15| -- GND
CPU D1 <> |03   14| <> CPU D4
CPU D0 <> |04   13| ?? NC
   GND -- |05   12| -> AUDIO2 (not used)
CPU D6 -> |06   11| -> AUDIO1 
    NC ?? |07   10| -- +5V
   /CE -> |08   09| <- R/w
          '-------'
It perfectly matches the blob audio chip from subor sb-97 computer, except that some data pins are shuffled, not all are used ant second audio channel is not wired.

I'm also quite courious about the mising PAL. Except that it could generate enable signal to the register at $8000, and mirroring (but rather V or single screen, because I dont see A11 coming to the PAL), it can control CHR-RAM-A3 (?) and CHR-RAM-A12, which are not directly wired to PPU address lines. PAL watches PPU-A9, PPU-A3 (?), PPU-A0 (?). Would that mind to be used to make automatic CHR-RAM bank switch in middle of screen, just like Mapper 163 does?

And the transistor buffer for PPU-A13, was it used to slightly delay the transition of A13 after A9? Why they not used two negators for that purpose?

MLX, can you confirm the connections 1-2-3-4 and tell where the line 5 goes behind the capacitor?
MLX

Post by MLX »

1,2,3 are all correct.

This is the wiring on the bottom left: https://i.imgur.com/Go4niB3.png
ICB14 and ICB15 are shorted together due to the huge soldering mess.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Digging up this old thread to make explicit what may have been implicitly clear for some time:

"CSMxxx" is the product code for custom-manufactured speech processing ICs of the TSP50C0x family from Texas Instruments.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/spss011d/spss011d.pdf
See page 7-11, PDF page 267, and search for "CSM".