Extra notification e-mails

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Extra notification e-mails

Post by rainwarrior »

I've been seeing the occasional e-mail notification for subscribed threads I'd already seen. Today I got like 10 e-mails at once of this nature.

I'm guessing the e-mail notifications have been a bit delayed and/or getting piled up in a backlog?
brizzo
Site Admin

Re: Extra notification e-mails

Post by brizzo »

I dont see any reason there could have been a log jam of sorts, or why you're getting notifications after you read the threads.... phpBB strikes again.

Checking the email sent logs I can see you got 11 emails over a 2 hour period, and nobody else got a rush of emails like this though.

Let me know if it keeps happening
Attachments
rw outbound.png
rw outbound.png (11.05 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

I've been getting a few phantom notifications, telling me somebody who responded 4 days ago or so had posted to the forum, and there was nothing new in the thread when I looked.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Well I got a notification e-mail for brizzo's reply to this thread several hours after I read it.

The system is clearly keeping track of what I've read, it gives me the red badge in the top right when I haven't read a reply yet... it just seems that the e-mails are getting to me with a lot of delay?
brizzo
Site Admin

Post by brizzo »

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to understand if this was a new problem, or had always been a problem. Fiskbit just pointed me to a thread on the phpBB forums explaining this is a common problem and some tips on how to improve it.

I just made some changes to our config. Essentially phpBB tries to rate limited email by queueing, and then depends on user traffic to trigger notifications. I have removed the rate limits and setup a cronjob to ensure the queue is processed at a fix interval.

I will check the email logs to see when rainwarrior gets a notification for this reply :)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I think I've been getting delayed e-mails (where I had already read the thread hours before) for a few weeks, but before that it was basically instantaneous.

The sudden delivery of 11 e-mails in one night had never happened before, it was always just one at a time until that point.

I wouldn't actually mind if the e-mails were delayed a few hours... if it could check first if I've already seen the thread before sending them. Like, I think a delay and e-mail scheduling in itself sound like a good feature. The problem is that I get e-mails that tell me to check a thread, but there's nothing new to see when I click on the link.
brizzo
Site Admin

Post by brizzo »

Hmm, still hasn't sent out the notification email for my reply yet either.

I will continue to investigate.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I just got 2 at once. I think this last one was valid. :)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

BTW this is completely resolved at this point, I think. I get e-mails promptly and when expected now.