How do I disassemble a GB rom

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
Downloafy

How do I disassemble a GB rom

Post by Downloafy »

So I've been trying to search a gb/game boy rom disassembler but I can't find any of them that is working.

If you have a program/exe or code that actually works please reply to this post.
Thank you!
Dwedit

Re: How do I disassemble a GB rom

Post by Dwedit »

I'm not familiar with the range of tools for disassembling GB roms, but you can use existing debuggers to see a disassembly of a ROM while it's loaded.

Did any GB emulators adopt the CDL format?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Downloafy

Post by Downloafy »

Dwedit wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:05 pm I'm not familiar with the range of tools for disassembling GB roms, but you can use existing debuggers to see a disassembly of a ROM while it's loaded.

Did any GB emulators adopt the CDL format?
no not that i think of
nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 »

What's the scope of what you want to do? A whole ROM, or do you want to disassemble a portion of it for analysis?

Matt Currie's Beaten Dying Moon can produce a symbol file from the running ROM, which can be used with mgbdis by the same author to produce a disassembly of the ROM. Debuggers like BGB can output snippets of the disassembly shown in the debugger. Some general purpose software reverse engineering tools like IDA Pro (if you can afford it) and Ghidra support the GB CPU and could help you analyze the ROM. You might also try joining pret's Discord server and ask there.