Backdrop Color change?

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
Avedare

Backdrop Color change?

Post by Avedare »

Hi guys! I need your professional help :cry:
Is there a way to change in-game's backdrop color that actually works?
I googled all the internet and only found SNES9x-rr 1.51 version that can change backdrop color in any scene in Final Fantasy IV, but I can't use it because there is no video option to V-Sync in this version and it constantly freezes a little. Very annoying thing, no smooth action :?

I thought that with BizHawk emulator I can open Hex Editor and change first color to any, then freeze and it will change in game.

But no. It doesn't work like that. :| I even changed all colors in pallete and freezed it, and nothing happened.
I need this option to record videos about layers and modes, and how Final Fantasy games used it.
Can you help me somehow? Do you know the right way to do this?

P. S. btw, I use Mesen-S as my main emulator to play and record games. Maybe you know solution in this one.
rainwarrior

Re: Backdrop Color change?

Post by rainwarrior »

Games are likely to copy the CGRAM data from a contiguous block in WRAM.

If CGRAM can't be frozen, try searching for that string of bytes in CGRAM in WRAM, and maybe you can figure out where the block is copied from, and then you can freeze it there?

If unlucky, the game will update it some other way, or the buffer will move around in WRAM, etc.
Avedare

Post by Avedare »

rainwarrior wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:27 pm Games are likely to copy the CGRAM data from a contiguous block in WRAM.

If CGRAM can't be frozen, try searching for that string of bytes in CGRAM in WRAM, and maybe you can figure out where the block is copied from, and then you can freeze it there?

If unlucky, the game will update it some other way, or the buffer will move around in WRAM, etc.
Holy GOD! I did it! I spend so many time to figure it out, but you explained it all so clear like a good teacher! Thank you so much!

https://imgur.com/a/m0Xd1LA
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

:beer: :D