PowerPak MMC3 fixes: accurate IRQ, MC-ACC submapper, iNES 2 CHR-RAM

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: PowerPak MMC3 jitter fix for loopy's mapper

Post by lidnariq »

The PowerPak has pull-up resistors on the data bus for its FPGA (which is 5V tolerant but can't drive pins above 2.5V).

Which means that devices that care about open bus not being $FF (such as Paperboy's joypad-reading code) require intervention.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

lidnariq wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:10 pm The PowerPak has pull-up resistors on the data bus for its FPGA (which is 5V tolerant but can't drive pins above 2.5V).

Which means that devices that care about open bus not being $FF (such as Paperboy's joypad-reading code) require intervention.
Ohhh so it's simulating one specific case of the open bus high bits of $4016/$4017. I suppose this wouldn't stand up to scrutiny of adversarial tests involving indirection/page-crossing, but good enough for the normal approach.

So I suppose this should be safe to just enable. Maybe loopy had it off by default because it adds complexity that's unnecessary for the majority of games? (Looks like there's 4 known MMC3 games, and 2 known CNROM games that need this fix.)

Though, I'm curious about why the WRAM disable seems to work perfectly for Low G Man. The change was just adding "cfg_wramnoten" here:

Code: Select all

assign wram_oe=               m2_n & ~nesprg_we & prgain[15:13]==3'b011 & ~cfg_wramnoten
The game seemed perfect with that change, and had music corruption without it. Is the $6000-7FFF region able to behave differently than $4016?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

As far as I know, no, they all behave the same. In the linked thread, you said
rainwarrior wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:37 pm Anyhow, the patch is pretty simple. Treat it as regular MMC3 with WRAM and no expectation that the WRAM disable will work. Initialize the entire WRAM to $FF and never disable it. Seems to take care of all the problems, and it appears to play just fine on both my PowerPak and Everdrive N8.
which seems like it explains why the PowerPak's pull-up resistors are safe.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Oh! Right, my patch just used $FF as a blanket value. I guess I had analyzed the nature of the bug and found that $FF was suitable and simpler. I thought I had filled everything with the high byte of it's address (i.e. the most likely open bus value, barring a page cross?), but I guess not:

FFC0 [1F]  A9 00          LDA #$00
FFC2 [1F]  85 00          STA $00
FFC4 [1F]  A8             TAY
FFC5 [1F]  AA             TAX
FFC6 [1F]  A9 60          LDA #$60
FFC8 [1F]  85 01          STA $01
FFCA [1F]  A9 80          LDA #$80
FFCC [1F]  8D 01 A0       STA $A001
FFCF [1F]  A9 FF          LDA #$FF
FFD1 [1F]  91 00          STA ($00),Y
FFD3 [1F]  C8             INY
FFD4 [1F]  D0 FB          BNE $FFD1
FFD6 [1F]  E6 01          INC $01
FFD8 [1F]  E8             INX
FFD9 [1F]  E0 20          CPX #$20
FFDB [1F]  90 F4          BCC $FFD1
FFDD [1F]  A9 00          LDA #$00
FFDF [1F]  8D 00 80       STA $8000
FFE2 [1F]  60             RTS
Thanks for pointing that out. I had forgotten.

Hrm, well this makes me think I should instead simulate it by initializing 8k of WRAM to high-byte and then write protecting it, rather than using wram_oe.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Alright! MC-ACC seems to be working? If I put submapper 3 on Incredible Crash Dummies or Mickey's Safari in Letterland they both look very solid!
loopy_mmc3_fix13.zip
(33.76 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Otherwise I switched the WRAM disable flag to actually disable writes, and instead the WRAM will be pre-filled with high-byte-of-address values to simulate open bus. I moved the pre-fill step to the PowerPak menu code (which will be part of a PowerPak OS update release I've been working on), which ends up solving the problem for other games as well (e.g. Battletoads & Double Dragon).

This was the relevant code for MC-ACC. Keeping the rest of the logic the same but replacing the 3xM2 delay line of regular MMC3 with the Fall/8 style of the ACC. Turned on by a config input from the loader that looks for iNES 2 submapper 3:

// MC-ACC
    // clocks on falling edge of a12, then ignores the next 7 edges
    // resets ignore on writes to $C001
    // (a12 pre-filter was needed for this implementation)
    reg [3:0] acc_counter;
    reg acc_reload;
    reg acc_clear_reload;
    reg acc_clear_reload_delay; // signals reload has been serviced, delayed until negedge-a12
    always @(negedge a12_pre_filtered) begin
        if (acc_reload) begin
            acc_counter <= 0;
            acc_clear_reload_delay <= 1;
        end else begin
            acc_counter <= acc_counter + 1;
            acc_clear_reload_delay <= 0;
        end
    end
    always @(posedge a12_pre_filtered) acc_clear_reload <= acc_clear_reload_delay;
    always @(posedge write_c001, posedge acc_clear_reload) begin
        if (acc_clear_reload) acc_reload <= 0;
        else acc_reload <= 1;
    end
    wire a12_acc = (acc_counter == 0) & (~acc_reload | acc_clear_reload_delay);

// a12 selects regular MMC3 or MC-ACC a12 behaviour
    wire cfg_acc = cfg_mapaux[6]; // loader can select submapper 3: MC-ACC
    wire a12 = (~cfg_acc & !a12_delay_line[2]) | (cfg_acc & a12_acc);
    wire a12_n = ~a12;
Otherwise this new code should only activate for submapper 3, and doesn't seem to have broken anything else. Blargg's tests are the same. A summary of what's changed since Loopy's version:
  • IRQ timing is fixed, no longer jittery, timing seems to be accurate and passes Blargg's tests as much as I think is possible.
  • Submapper 3 (MC-ACC) support for Incredible Crash Dummies, Mickey in Letterland, etc.
  • Large CHR-RAM iNES 2 support.
  • No PRG-RAM iNES 2 support (approximate, and requires a pending OS update).
  • New loader with simple progress bar.
loopy

Post by loopy »

I'm glad someone picked up the torch. It's been on my "fix this someday" list for years now :P
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

loopy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:12 pmI'm glad someone picked up the torch. It's been on my "fix this someday" list for years now :P
Thanks for providing the source to continue from!

While you're here, there were a few mappers in your mapper pack that weren't present in your source pack. Do you still have any of these sources, and if so are you willing to share them?
  • MAP05 - iNES 005 MMC5
  • MAP5A - iNES 090 JY Company
  • MAP22 - iNES 034 BNROM / NINA-001
  • MAP47 - iNES 071 Camerica / Codemasters
  • N.MAP - NSF