Gimmick! exAct * mix

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Sumez

Re: Gimmick! exAct * mix

Post by Sumez »

Just wanted to say that I love how the artstyle ended out! This is exactly what I'd hoped for. Congrats to Mike.
https://twitter.com/exaarcadia/status/1 ... 1610058752

Too bad it's exclusive to exA, but what can you do :\
tepples

Post by tepples »

Does the exclusivity expire prior to 2116?
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

This is nearly complete and is on final location test. COVID has made this hard in more ways than you can imagine. There are just a few more "little things" I'd like to add, and a nice surprise for everybody hopefully.
tepples wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:50 am Does the exclusivity expire prior to 2116?
I don't get if this is a specific joke, but the decision to make this as an arcade game is a conscious one, by me.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Current US copyright term is 95 years from publication. Tepples just likes to make trivia puzzles out of everything. ;P
Tygerbug

Post by Tygerbug »

This looks wonderful. A spot-on current-gen remake of a truly great NES classic.

I actually did a little art for an HD test of Mr. Gimmick back in 2014. It looked like this.

https://www.deviantart.com/tygerbug/art ... -451915438
rednorka

Post by rednorka »

Hi! (yes I know this thread is somewhat dead, dont need to tell me that)

I've been into Gimmick! for a while now and I really like the remake you've worked on. And albeit I'm unable to play the actual game (yet???) and have to resort to watching speedruns I really dig the artstyle, all the extras and especially the arranged soundtrack (latter will be relevant in a bit).

I've managed to find this post out of curiosity while browsing NESDev and as soon as I found out about it I registered an account to ask something I've wanted for a long time regarding the remake to Mike, in hope that he still checks this forum often.

Is there or will there be any way to listen to the new whole soundtrack itself outside of the arcade release? I've heard that the separate composer was responsible for it but I can't contact them properly mostly thanks to language barrier. If by some impossible miracle you even can provide the music files that would be wonderful!

Regardless, good job on the project, Mike, and I hope you and anyone else reading this is doing great!
ndiddy

Post by ndiddy »

I am happy to answer questions to the extent of my ability.
Why do the girl's clothes teleport before she does in the intro/ending? I thought that was pretty weird. Was it your decision or somebody at Sunsoft's?
https://youtu.be/RmUyoFvgprw?t=1697
Ryoga

Post by Ryoga »

mikejmoffitt wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:43 pm As for the JAEPO demo that was presented:
* The original game engine is in use; the game physics are perfect when compared to the original.
* With the original HUD chopped off, Famicom PAR adjustments (within a tolerance) and only a slight amount of cropping (a-la PocketNES) the game runs in 16:9.
* The graphics were redrawn from scratch (though very closely mimicking the appearance and contours of the original, to a fault)

* Please don't ask about a console release right now
* There is an arranged sountrack, of my own creation, alongside the 2A03+5B original

* Character positioning is done by reading the game state in RAM, rather than the sprite position OAM data, so placement of sprites is done in a more precise 4096-point space.

* Obviously sprite flicker is gone
* I have scoring plans for scoring changes and some (small and subtle) difficulty changes
* If present, buttons C and D on the arcade panel can map to Item Switch and Item Use
* Please stop asking about putting it on a console
* HUD indicates that a checkpoint has been reached
* Popup HUD for item switching
@mikejmoffitt It's been a while since the last post on this thread and since then it seems that Gimmick! exAct * mix has finally been released on the eXa-Arcadia platform. At the time I think you said that you couldn't give many details about it but this system has recently caught my attention due to the launch of another game (in this case a Homebrew game released as cartridge) that was previously published for the FAMICOM. This is the exA-Arcadia version of Astro Ninja Man (a game developed by "Riki") known as Astro Ninja Man EXA.

In the first post you commented that the DEMO was making use of the original game engine, but from what the final game looks like I understand that a port of said engine has been made to some of the modern development tools that are supported by the exA-ARCADIA platform such as Unreal Engine, Unity, Game Maker Studio 2, GoDot, ClickTeam Fusion 2.5+, Corona/Solar 2D, XNA, OpenBOR, STG Builder, 2D Fighter Maker 2nd, Pixel Game Maker MV, HTML5 and Construct 3. Could you give Any details about this? What kind of engine or development tools were ultimately used for this "Gimmick! exAct * mix"? On the other hand, the way in which the games are distributed catches my attention because they look like a kind of USB "dongles". Could you give more details about this hardware?

Greetings.
dink

Post by dink »

Would be nice to play this on a pc or something
Catyak

Post by Catyak »

dink wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:30 pm Would be nice to play this on a pc or something
Honestly, Gimmick! on eXA isn't different enough to actually warrant most people playing it over a straight emulation/port of the original, unlike some of the eXA adaptations. And with Gimmick! getting a release on Steam, you can play Gimmick legally on a PC.