Weird smiley in some thread title

Found an issue with the phpBB system here at NESdev? Use this forum to report problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Weird smiley in some thread title

Post by Jarhmander »

Does anyone know what can cause that stray smiley? Does anyone see it when looking at that thread?

On Chrome (108.0.5359.128) using Android 10.
Screenshot_20230104_155133_com.android.chrome.jpg
I can see it too when using Firefox (108.1.0 (Build #2015920443), 49ccb63dd+)

It seems that the smiley is only there if looking at the unread, new or active topics; on the SNESdev board it isn't there.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
Joe

Re: Weird smiley in some thread title

Post by Joe »

Oh, weird. I see it too.

For whatever reason, phpBB is adding some CSS to the icon, but only for that topic on those pages:

Code: Select all

<dt style="background-image: url(./images/icons/smile/redface.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;" title="There are no new unread posts for this topic.">
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I see it in Firefox, but it's mostly underneath the circular orange post icon, so it's almost hidden. Seems to be some sort of unread posts indicator, but I'm not sure quite what makes it appear or not.
Attachments
redface_unread_link.png
Drag

Post by Drag »

phpBB3 supports topic icons, which are icons you can assign to topics, and indeed, they appear beside the usual new-posts/no-new-posts/etc indicator, just like the thread in question here (even though our forum has a layering issue with it).
phpbb-thread-icons2.png
phpbb-thread-icons2.png (33.27 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
The problem is, they don't seem to be enabled here, so I can think of two possibilities:
A) Random hiccup (VPN, DB, moderator, etc) which set the topic icon for this thread, even though they're technically disabled on our forum.
B) That thread was posted without using the UI at posting.php, when you click the [new thread] button.
brizzo
Site Admin

Post by brizzo »

Not sure how this was able to happen, but the topic had a 'topic icon' assigned to it even though we have that feature disabled in phpBB. No other topics in the database had an icon set either...
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

You made it disappear, didn't you? I can't see it anymore.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Drag wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:23 pm B) That thread was posted without using the UI at posting.php, when you click the [new thread] button.
Combined with the rather peculiar thread title, it's probably worth keeping an eye on that user's account to make sure it doesn't turn out to be yet another sleeper spambot.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

That's why I refrained from replying to that post - I would have otherwise given tips on how to properly ask for help on forums but I'm not convinced it's a real account to begin with.
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

All first posts are vetted to avoid spam, usually by myself or lidnariq. This one required some discussion, but I saw enough positive signals that we figured the main issue was language barrier. I'm certainly confused about how he got the emoticon on the post, but he still looks like a legitimate user.
calima

Post by calima »

Phone poster using one of the plugins?
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

I get this when replying to the Nova the Squirrel 2 thread:
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

Thanks, disabling those is apparently a forum setting that I didn't know about when I created the SNES homebrew forum. It's fixed there now.