Count Errors Test ROM and some new DMC glitch info

Discuss emulation of the Nintendo Entertainment System and Famicom.

Moderator: Moderators

Alyosha_TAS

Re: Count Errors Test ROM and some new DMC glitch info

Post by Alyosha_TAS »

Oh cool thanks for the quick turn around on the test ROM. It seems my diagnosis was correct. Not sure how it manages to be off by 2 cycles though, I guess the counter changes at a different point then I thought.

Pretty incredible that no other game I had previous tested ran into this case. Or maybe reading from the status register isn't that common.

Anyway thanks again!
posit

Post by posit »

Oh this is awesome. Just wanted to share appreciation to you both for the investigation and test case. Also I'm kind of excited because mine apparently does the right thing! Adding to the round of tests. Seriously this whole topic is golden.
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

Alyosha: I've put all of my DMA knowledge up on the wiki here. I'd really appreciate if you could take a look at this and verify it matches your understanding, since I think you're currently the only other person here who understands this topic all that well!
Alyosha_TAS

Post by Alyosha_TAS »

Yes what you have there looks like it matches what I have in my code / notes. I think the only thing that is missing is that if the DMC DMA occurs on the APU cycle before the buffer would be emptied (0 bits remaining in the sample, but non-zero samples remaining) then there will not be another DMC DMA triggered. In other words the currently playing sample and the buffer will both still be considered filled.

I can't remember what game or test this case occurred in though.

Aside from that there are still a lot of IRQ details, but honestly I'm not sure how well I could even explain it myself anymore.
org

Post by org »

Allow me to break in to you.

We now have the ability to test APU circuits using the HDL implementation on Verilog:

Test Bench can be found here:
https://github.com/emu-russia/breaks/tr ... Icarus/apu

For testing OAM DMA and DPCM DMA see oam_dma.bat and both_dma.bat

Results are as follows:
- ACLK and PHI alignment mismatch is related to /RES signal duration
- The extra delay cycle of non-aligned OAM DMA is due to the fact that the latch where DMA start events are stored is enabled only at #ACLK ("Unaligned OAM DMA" case)
- DPCM DMA contains additional delay cycles on purpose. This is done for the reason that if DPCM DMA and OAM DMA intersect - DPCM DMA cannot immediately start doing reads (simultaneously with OAM DMA). So the circuit purposefully waits for 2 cycles and gives the OAM DMA hold signal, then does its own reading and an additional empty cycle instead of writing $2004 (marked as "resume" or "bogus" in the diagrams). ("Dummy DPCM DMA Cycles" case)

Attached are .vcd files for GTKWave for those who like to look into such things.

You can also check how the circuits work using Logisim 3.8.0:
https://github.com/emu-russia/breaks/bl ... k_Evo.circ

That's enough for now :)
Attachments
oam_dma.zip
(656.74 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
both_dma.zip
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
oamdma_start_nodelay.png
oamdma_start_delay.png
both_side_by_side.png
Eugene.S