new technologies for developing on NES

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

Garth

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by Garth »

tokumaru wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:53 pm
Garth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:12 pmThere are several reasons that I do not, and will not, use a smartphone.
You're well within your right to make this decision, and I have absolutely no intention of changing your or anyone else's mind, I'm just saying that technology is heavily focused on smartphones these days, so you're likely to miss [out] on more and more things if you don't own one, specially if you work with or are into technology.
I use a desktop PC, with a wired internet connection, most of the day, with a big monitor, full keyboard (I absolutely hate touchscreens), mouse, and I do regular backups.  I can heavily document that smartphones are the master surveillance device (I also don't have a mic or camera on my PCs, although I do have a separate digital camera and a scanner), and that the radiation of all these wireless devices (smartphone, WiFi, bluetooth, etc.) is slowly doing a lot of damage to our health even though the signals are not ionizing.  I also don't like what smartphones have done to society, that people would rather poke at their phone than talk to the person in front of them or look where they're going. I also don't like the fact that after two or three years, major portions of the phone stop working right, according to the experience of everyone in my family who uses one.  I have electronics from the 1960's that still work.  I won't buy something that only lasts a few years.  Young people may find this hard to believe, but there really was life before smartphones, and in some ways it was better.  I do carry a small Nokia 2610 non-smartphone just for emergencies, but it's one that only takes a second to remove the battery from or put back in, and I keep the battery and phone, two pieces, in a small ziploc bag, and the phone goes months at a time without the battery ever getting put into it.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
tepples

Post by tepples »

I have made a new topic about living without a personal smartphone.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I strongly agree with Tepples and Garth regarding this (this thread is also relevant to that subject).

Human is probably the most stupid race I've ever met, not seeing all the super obvious disadvantages with their crazy ideas they get from thin air left and right. 0 points to humanity, maggots are way smarter.
turboxray

Post by turboxray »

Garth wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:32 pm
tokumaru wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:53 pm
Garth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:12 pmThere are several reasons that I do not, and will not, use a smartphone.
You're well within your right to make this decision, and I have absolutely no intention of changing your or anyone else's mind, I'm just saying that technology is heavily focused on smartphones these days, so you're likely to miss [out] on more and more things if you don't own one, specially if you work with or are into technology.
I use a desktop PC, with a wired internet connection, most of the day, with a big monitor, full keyboard (I absolutely hate touchscreens), mouse, and I do regular backups.  I can heavily document that smartphones are the master surveillance device (I also don't have a mic or camera on my PCs, although I do have a separate digital camera and a scanner), and that the radiation of all these wireless devices (smartphone, WiFi, bluetooth, etc.) is slowly doing a lot of damage to our health even though the signals are not ionizing.  I also don't like what smartphones have done to society, that people would rather poke at their phone than talk to the person in front of them or look where they're going. I also don't like the fact that after two or three years, major portions of the phone stop working right, according to the experience of everyone in my family who uses one.  I have electronics from the 1960's that still work.  I won't buy something that only lasts a few years.  Young people may find this hard to believe, but there really was life before smartphones, and in some ways it was better.  I do carry a small Nokia 2610 non-smartphone just for emergencies, but it's one that only takes a second to remove the battery from or put back in, and I keep the battery and phone, two pieces, in a small ziploc bag, and the phone goes months at a time without the battery ever getting put into it.
That's kind of sad, actually. I don't know if it's a pretty common pattern or just my heightened exposure to near-retired aged engineers (people who were close to technology their whole lives), but I'm seeing attitude/mentality like this more and more from that age career-centric group. I guess I expected people that worked so closely with technology, into the "weeds", to have more resilience against this regression. Instead, it's this regression to modify their lives to replicate a simpler time in their lives (and a more increased level of paranoia for new tech). Maybe for some, working so closing with technology, for decades, actually has the opposite effect? Or maybe there simply is no correlation at all.

I honestly cannot relate; I'm old enough to remember life without smart phones, internet, whatever - and I was VERY active (went to so many events, thrived in large group of friends, etc - an active social life). I spent a large part of my childhood and teenage years outside the house - balanced by gaming as a way to "recharge". Life is SO much better now with the advancement in technology than it ever was back then. I don't see my attitude changing on that, either. My two brothers, who are older than me, share the same/similar view as well. I guess some people's elasticity for adaptation of technology, and its impact on social norms, has reached its stretching point. I hope mine never does.
Drag

Post by Drag »

To add more to the AI discussion, AIs don't actually understand the underlying theory behind what they generate. Their knowledge is more like "this keyword means this output, based on what I've seen before". By looking at billions of examples in its training set, it does not acquire any understanding of theory (nor is it even interested in it), it only gains a huge database of snapshots to choose output from, sorted by keyword.

Ironically enough, this means AIs are the ultimate cargo cult programmers. :D

The other thing that bugs me is, the anthropomorphization of AI means people won't understand the above fundamental difference between an AI's knowledge and a human's knowledge, leading to:
- Bad comparisons like "an AI looking at thousands of examples isn't any different from a person doing the same thing" (it's not, because an AI gains no understanding of causation or theory or anything meta by looking at examples, unlike a person)
- The incorrect assumption that an AI is capable of learning from its mistakes (it can't because once trained, an AI's knowledge is immutable until you update its training set and retrain it from scratch, which is expensive).

And that's why I don't like the sensationalism behind it.
Garth

Post by Garth »

turboxray wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:51 am I honestly cannot relate; I'm old enough to remember life without smart phones, internet, whatever
I originally responded above to something others said; but since this is a little off-topic and tepples started another one under "General Stuff," I'll reply to this there.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
strat

Post by strat »

Drag wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:45 am it's not, because an AI gains no understanding of causation or theory or anything meta by looking at examples, unlike a person
Soooo... this means we're not getting Skynet anytime soon?
Drag

Post by Drag »

strat wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:00 pm Soooo... this means we're not getting Skynet anytime soon?
We already have Skynet, but it's the dumber one where it just determines whether or not you're allowed to post your thing and/or keep your account, and all anyone does is throw their hands up, "sorry, nothing we can do to fix this!" because money. You can ask it to rhyme like Dr.Seuss though, so that's something I guess. :P