More phone debate (split)

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples
Posts: 22472
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

More phone debate (split)

Post by tepples »

I probably won't try ChatGPT or DALL-E 2 any time soon because of its requirement for a unique mobile phone number rather than one shared with another member of the household. I'd give it a try if I knew it were compelling enough to be worth the cost of setting up another line of service.

EDIT: remove complaining
User avatar
Individualised
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:46 am

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by Individualised »

tepples wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:13 am Like DALL-E 2, ChatGPT is yet another service that I don't see myself evaluating any time soon until people can show me why it's worth the money.

OpenAI allows one account per mobile phone number and does not support landlines or VoIP. I once tried to sign up for OpenAI and failed because I am not comfortable giving OpenAI a mobile phone number to which to send an SMS verification code. I have read that several other users have failed to sign up for OpenAI because they lack a mobile phone entirely.

I've been told that mobile phone service where I live is available for $240 per year plus the price of the handset. What makes ChatGPT and other tools offered by OpenAI worth this amount?
Nothing does, but OpenAI likely never considered this and assumed that everyone has a mobile phone these days as an essential. Not that I agree with that thinking, but since they're a company all about a cutting edge technology it kinda makes sense.
User avatar
tokumaru
Posts: 12318
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by tokumaru »

It's getting harder and harder to live without a smartphone and a data plan these days. Of course you can choose to live a basic life and avoid much of today's technology, but if you rely on technology in general for work or other things in your daily life (e g. banking) you might as well cave in and avoid all the trouble that comes with fighting the system. Not being able to use ChatGPT will probably not be the biggest of your problems if you continue refusing to get your own phone number in today's world.
Garth
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:45 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by Garth »

There are several reasons that I do not, and will not, use a smartphone.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
User avatar
tokumaru
Posts: 12318
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by tokumaru »

Garth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:12 pmThere are several reasons that I do not, and will not, use a smartphone.
You're well within your right to make this decision, and I have absolutely no intention of changing your or anyone else's mind, I'm just saying that technology is heavily focused on smartphones these days, so you're likely to miss on more and more things if you don't own one, specially if you work with or are into technology.
Garth
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:45 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by Garth »

tokumaru wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:53 pm
Garth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:12 pmThere are several reasons that I do not, and will not, use a smartphone.
You're well within your right to make this decision, and I have absolutely no intention of changing your or anyone else's mind, I'm just saying that technology is heavily focused on smartphones these days, so you're likely to miss [out] on more and more things if you don't own one, specially if you work with or are into technology.
I use a desktop PC, with a wired internet connection, most of the day, with a big monitor, full keyboard (I absolutely hate touchscreens), mouse, and I do regular backups.  I can heavily document that smartphones are the master surveillance device (I also don't have a mic or camera on my PCs, although I do have a separate digital camera and a scanner), and that the radiation of all these wireless devices (smartphone, WiFi, bluetooth, etc.) is slowly doing a lot of damage to our health even though the signals are not ionizing.  I also don't like what smartphones have done to society, that people would rather poke at their phone than talk to the person in front of them or look where they're going. I also don't like the fact that after two or three years, major portions of the phone stop working right, according to the experience of everyone in my family who uses one.  I have electronics from the 1960's that still work.  I won't buy something that only lasts a few years.  Young people may find this hard to believe, but there really was life before smartphones, and in some ways it was better.  I do carry a small Nokia 2610 non-smartphone just for emergencies, but it's one that only takes a second to remove the battery from or put back in, and I keep the battery and phone, two pieces, in a small ziploc bag, and the phone goes months at a time without the battery ever getting put into it.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
tepples
Posts: 22472
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by tepples »

I have made a new topic about living without a personal smartphone.
Pokun
Posts: 2386
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 5:49 am
Location: Hokkaido, Japan

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by Pokun »

I strongly agree with Tepples and Garth regarding this (this thread is also relevant to that subject).

Human is probably the most stupid race I've ever met, not seeing all the super obvious disadvantages with their crazy ideas they get from thin air left and right. 0 points to humanity, maggots are way smarter.
turboxray
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:56 am

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by turboxray »

Garth wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:32 pm
tokumaru wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:53 pm
Garth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:12 pmThere are several reasons that I do not, and will not, use a smartphone.
You're well within your right to make this decision, and I have absolutely no intention of changing your or anyone else's mind, I'm just saying that technology is heavily focused on smartphones these days, so you're likely to miss [out] on more and more things if you don't own one, specially if you work with or are into technology.
I use a desktop PC, with a wired internet connection, most of the day, with a big monitor, full keyboard (I absolutely hate touchscreens), mouse, and I do regular backups.  I can heavily document that smartphones are the master surveillance device (I also don't have a mic or camera on my PCs, although I do have a separate digital camera and a scanner), and that the radiation of all these wireless devices (smartphone, WiFi, bluetooth, etc.) is slowly doing a lot of damage to our health even though the signals are not ionizing.  I also don't like what smartphones have done to society, that people would rather poke at their phone than talk to the person in front of them or look where they're going. I also don't like the fact that after two or three years, major portions of the phone stop working right, according to the experience of everyone in my family who uses one.  I have electronics from the 1960's that still work.  I won't buy something that only lasts a few years.  Young people may find this hard to believe, but there really was life before smartphones, and in some ways it was better.  I do carry a small Nokia 2610 non-smartphone just for emergencies, but it's one that only takes a second to remove the battery from or put back in, and I keep the battery and phone, two pieces, in a small ziploc bag, and the phone goes months at a time without the battery ever getting put into it.
That's kind of sad, actually. I don't know if it's a pretty common pattern or just my heightened exposure to near-retired aged engineers (people who were close to technology their whole lives), but I'm seeing attitude/mentality like this more and more from that age career-centric group. I guess I expected people that worked so closely with technology, into the "weeds", to have more resilience against this regression. Instead, it's this regression to modify their lives to replicate a simpler time in their lives (and a more increased level of paranoia for new tech). Maybe for some, working so closing with technology, for decades, actually has the opposite effect? Or maybe there simply is no correlation at all.

I honestly cannot relate; I'm old enough to remember life without smart phones, internet, whatever - and I was VERY active (went to so many events, thrived in large group of friends, etc - an active social life). I spent a large part of my childhood and teenage years outside the house - balanced by gaming as a way to "recharge". Life is SO much better now with the advancement in technology than it ever was back then. I don't see my attitude changing on that, either. My two brothers, who are older than me, share the same/similar view as well. I guess some people's elasticity for adaptation of technology, and its impact on social norms, has reached its stretching point. I hope mine never does.
Garth
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:45 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by Garth »

turboxray wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:51 am I honestly cannot relate; I'm old enough to remember life without smart phones, internet, whatever
I originally responded above to something others said; but since this is a little off-topic and tepples started another one under "General Stuff," I'll reply to this there.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
jeffythedragonslayer
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:29 pm

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

Garth wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:32 pm
tokumaru wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:53 pm
Garth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:12 pmThere are several reasons that I do not, and will not, use a smartphone.
You're well within your right to make this decision, and I have absolutely no intention of changing your or anyone else's mind, I'm just saying that technology is heavily focused on smartphones these days, so you're likely to miss [out] on more and more things if you don't own one, specially if you work with or are into technology.
I use a desktop PC, with a wired internet connection, most of the day, with a big monitor, full keyboard (I absolutely hate touchscreens), mouse, and I do regular backups. I can heavily document that smartphones are the master surveillance device (I also don't have a mic or camera on my PCs, although I do have a separate digital camera and a scanner), and that the radiation of all these wireless devices (smartphone, WiFi, bluetooth, etc.) is slowly doing a lot of damage to our health even though the signals are not ionizing.
I'm very interested in seeing the documentation on the dangers of non-ionizing radiation.
Garth
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:45 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by Garth »

jeffythedragonslayer wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:08 am I'm very interested in seeing the documentation on the dangers of non-ionizing radiation.
I'm perceiving that a lot of people just turn glassy-eyed if I give a lot of links; so I'll just add this one this time, of a relatively recent lecture I came across a couple of days ago, with slides from many studies: 5G, Wireless Radiation and Health: A Scientific and Policy Update, from epidemiologist and toxicologist Dr. Devra Davis.  For anyone who wants to look up the actual study reports and delve into them in detail, I think there's enough information there to find several of them.

Others keep touting the "indispensable" conveniences of a smartphone.  To me, they're not worth putting up with the surveillance, radiation, short life of a smartphone, the need to put it on the charger every night, the addiction, or being part of the smartphone culture which I despise, where people would rather be buried in their phone than to pay attention to the person in front of them or watch where they're going.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
Joe
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:17 pm

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by Joe »

Garth wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:15 pmI'm perceiving that a lot of people just turn glassy-eyed if I give a lot of links; so I'll just add this one this time, of a relatively recent lecture I came across a couple of days ago, with slides from many studies:
Giving a lot of links is perfectly fine as long as they're links to the actual studies. No one wants to sit through an hour-long video just to figure out which studies to read.
Garth
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:45 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by Garth »

Joe wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:57 pm
Garth wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:15 pmI'm perceiving that a lot of people just turn glassy-eyed if I give a lot of links; so I'll just add this one this time, of a relatively recent lecture I came across a couple of days ago, with slides from many studies:
Giving a lot of links is perfectly fine as long as they're links to the actual studies. No one wants to sit through an hour-long video just to figure out which studies to read.
Seeing the whole study will take you much, much longer.  Unfortunately even professionals tend to only look at the conclusion, which sometimes contradicts the body of the report, written that way with the knowledge that many will only look at the conclusion, written by people who have an industry or funding to defend.  Dr. Devra Davis is not among them.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources
lidnariq
Posts: 11140
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Location: Seattle

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by lidnariq »

This is seriously off-topic
Post Reply