What Do SL and CL Mean?

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

Ben Boldt

What Do SL and CL Mean?

Post by Ben Boldt »

I notice on lots of various Nintendo PCBs, where there are solder bridge type jumpers, Nintendo labels them SL(n) and CL(n). The SL ones are normally open, (solder to close them) and the CL ones are normally closed (cut them to open). Does anyone know exactly what it stands for?
ndbytes

Re: What Do SL and CL Mean?

Post by ndbytes »

Ben Boldt wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:58 pm I notice on lots of various Nintendo PCBs, where there are solder bridge type jumpers, Nintendo labels them SL(n) and CL(n). The SL ones are normally open, (solder to close them) and the CL ones are normally closed (cut them to open). Does anyone know exactly what it stands for?
The labels mean "solder line" - the one with disconnected sides to be soldered together, and "cut line" - the one to be cut apart. Thus, the labels denote with respect to the default configuration state set by the manufacturer the opposite state of the corresponding signal lines on the pcb that is achieved after configuration is done.
Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt »

Cool thanks!
aquasnake

Post by aquasnake »

The specific function is unknown (may be used as GPIOs, and the custom I/Os are connected),
The logical expression is as follows:

Code: Select all

assign sl3 =
	(!sl3_rw) ? (
		(!sl3_sel) ? sl3_out :
		(!cpu_rw && !cpu_addr_15 && cpu_addr_in[14:10] == 5'b10110) ? ~m2 :
		1'bZ
	) : 1'bZ;

assign cl3 =
	(!cl3_rw) ? (
		(!cl3_sel) ? cl3_out :
		(cpu_rw && !cpu_addr_15 && cpu_addr_in[14:10] == 5'b10110) ? ~m2 :
		1'bZ
	) : 1'bZ;
jeffythedragonslayer

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

I added SL and CL to the wiki glossary. I'll leave putting longer definitions in to someone with soldering experience:

https://www.nesdev.org/wiki/Glossary
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

I've reworked these and made several other glossary changes. There doesn't appear to be any other source on the internet for L meaning line, and it's even referred to as leg in one PC-10 source. Rather than invent a term for which there is no historical basis, I've omitted any expansion of the CL and SL acronyms.
jeffythedragonslayer

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

Fiskbit wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:51 pmit's even referred to as leg in one PC-10 source.
Where?
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

google.com, search for: "cut leg" "solder leg"
https://www.riemen.net/playchoice/downl ... _hacks.pdf
kmg

Post by kmg »

Fiskbit wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:51 pm I've reworked these and made several other glossary changes. There doesn't appear to be any other source on the internet for L meaning line, and it's even referred to as leg in one PC-10 source. Rather than invent a term for which there is no historical basis, I've omitted any expansion of the CL and SL acronyms.
I think the glossary definitions are fine and having "official" expansions doesn't add much value. FWIW though, Nintendo was using the abbreviations at least as early as 1982. The Donkey Kong Jr schematics has some CLs and SLs and includes the Engrish-y note: "SWITCH 2: Each Switch has Cut-land and Short-land set with parallel." My guess is that "cut land" and "short land" may be the official nomenclature.
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

I think it's worth having them if we know what they are, but the actual definition is certainly the more important part.

Thanks so much for pointing this out. The schematic can be found here and the terms are on the bottom of the second page. I agree that this is plausibly what CL and SL stand for.